Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

929 PCV valve removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Default 929 PCV valve removal

can some one help me figure out how to remove the PCV valve out of a 94 929 with a 3.0 DOHC 24v engine.

does it have a press in PCV valve or is it threaded into the valve cover? I messed with it a bit but I couldnt tell how it came out. If its threaded then it appears the whole intake plenum must be removed to do it.
any advice or pics would be great, thank you!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

'Wish I knew how to answer this, Fred, but I am not familiar and don't have a clue.

Question: Is the PCV metal to metal with the valve cover? Does it have a hex on it that a wrench would fit on? If so, then its likely screwed into the valve cover.
Does it seat in a rubber grommet? If so, then it likely is a press fit and will pull out. Probably stuck in there from years of neglect, or the rubber grommet has hardened and will breakk apart.

Why do you need to remove it? Most PVC valves last a lifetime and don't need changing. They are really very simple devices and not much can go wrong with them.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 PM

thanx for the reply. it appears that the PCV is threaded into the valve cover but there is no hex shapes on the PCV valve. it doesnt sit in a rubber grommet
The car has oil in the air intake so this lead me to believe the PCV valve could posibly have failed. I cant even remove it to check it.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Again I am guessing, but perhaps there is varnish built up on the underside of the threads (those threads that stick through/past the VC and are exposed to oil, heat, etc.) and that you will need to remove the valve cover to clear it so that you can remove the PCV?
PB Blaster is an excellent rust and varnish buster (hence the name.) Perhaps taking off the valve cover and hitting the underside with something like that would clear the threads and/or give further clues to how it is installed in the first place?
If at all possible, that might be my next move... but then again, I can't see what you are seeing either.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:25 PM

The problem I'm running into is that I think it is threaded into the valve cover but since the PCV valve has a 90* turn in it I cant turn it because it hits the intake manifold. I'm 99% sure its threaded into the valver cover its just hard to believe they would do it that way, since the intake manifold makes it impossible to unscrew the PCV valve.
PCV valves usually last for a long time, but at the same time they are considered part of the routine maintenence. you'd think they would at least make it possible to remove it with out removing the intake manifold.