Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

91 323 weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Default 91 323 weirdness

Hiya,

Thanks in advance for helping.

I'm working on a friends 91 323 that has some strange gremlins. The engine runs sometimes, randomly shuts off and it might re-start and it might not. I have a fuel pressure gauge installed right at the fuel rail and it shows a constant 38 psi whether it is running or not. I have spark at all times. Compression is a dead even 180 across the board. Timing belt is installed correctly and had not jumped time and ignition timing is correct. The only odd thing I can find is the 10 amp fuse in the under-hood fuse box that the owners manual says is for the ECC has no power, ever, whether it's running or not. The weird thing is, the engine will run sometimes. I would think that if the ECC had no power, the engine would not run at all. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I can't seem to find a proper wiring diagram that will show this 10 amp circuit so I don't know where to check at the ECC.

The owner reported to me that it simply would not start one morning.

When it does decide to run, it will sit there and idle for some random amount of time and then die suddenly. Fuel pressure stays the same so it's not fuel delivery. I can hear the injectors clicking while cranking and it has spark while cranking.

Does this 10 amp circuit truly supply power to the ECC? Will this engine run without the ECC being powered? Is this 10 amp circuit the source of the problem?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:12 PM

Does anyone even have a wiring diagram?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:35 PM

Wow, no one has any suggestions, eh?