Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

323 Timing belt?!

Old 08-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Default 323 Timing belt?!

Well since I saw a few other post also that reminded me that I need to get my timing belt chanced.

Been getting ready to do this my self.

I know the kit cost some where around 100-175 for the belt and tensioners.

So can I do this my self?

I need to know the steps to do this. I am worried about messing up someithing like my timeing and or putting it on wrong.

I need some step by step, or some kind of diagram. Babyhuey I know you might have some?

I have my manual and all that I just need to know what tools I will need and how to tackle this one.

I know mine is way over due, lets see needs to be replaced and checked at what 60,000? is that right?

Well a I have about 154,000 miles on the car every things is stock except the new radiator that was replaced be for I got the car. I mean stock my org. engien and all that. I have tuned it up and put new parts that needed to be replaced but just OEM part nothing performace.

I need to get this timing belt out of the way. I am worried that it will break and I throw a rod or bend a vaule or some crap like that.

I mean would it be much better to take it in to get fixed? I mean If I can do it I would much rather it being me touching my car.

Please I need some help though, I need some pics, diagrams any thing you can give me.

Other info: 1992 323 1.6lt. 4cly. Standard Trasnsmission. No Power stearing, rack and pinoin. It does have A/C. Just replaced the drive belts in Nov. of last year.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Default RE: 323 Timing belt?!

any tackers?

Old 08-12-2006, 11:17 PM

i was hoping that babyhuey would take this one as he can give detailed info. if you have a good manual it should explain the procedure. it does not take any special tools to replace the timing belt. just some decent metric tools and a floor jack to support the engine when removing the front motor mount to access the belt. i would mark where the pulleys are positioned before removing the belt just in case one gets turned a tooth off. that way you will have a reference point.

the timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles on your car.

here is a diagram of the timing marks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1828/B15EC3AA1F034BEE9646EA8D432C38A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-13-2006, 09:00 PM

Ok so pretty much all I really need is a floor jack. I didn't even know I would have to take the front motor mount off? I am not even sure how to do this....

My manual is decent at best but I still would like info from you guys.

Most of the work I have done on my car I have found out is a lot simpiler that it seems to me. I guess I just like to know how to do every thing befor I accually do it.

If babyhuey could give me some detailed info that would be great. I would much rather do this my self then spend like 300-400 bucks to get it done somewhere eles.

who make a good timing belt kit out there? does felpro make one? also am I looking for one tensiner or two? and how do I replace those... the manual says the aren't hard to take off just need some screwdrivers.

I guess I can pretty much do this just need to know the steps on taking the front motor mount off and knowing I have every thing positioned right befor I put it all on.

Please I need some answers I really need to get this done soon.

I don't want it to snap on my lol.