Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

323 Timing belt?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Default 323 Timing belt?!

Well since I saw a few other post also that reminded me that I need to get my timing belt chanced.

Been getting ready to do this my self.

I know the kit cost some where around 100-175 for the belt and tensioners.

So can I do this my self?

I need to know the steps to do this. I am worried about messing up someithing like my timeing and or putting it on wrong.

I need some step by step, or some kind of diagram. Babyhuey I know you might have some?

I have my manual and all that I just need to know what tools I will need and how to tackle this one.

I know mine is way over due, lets see needs to be replaced and checked at what 60,000? is that right?

Well a I have about 154,000 miles on the car every things is stock except the new radiator that was replaced be for I got the car. I mean stock my org. engien and all that. I have tuned it up and put new parts that needed to be replaced but just OEM part nothing performace.

I need to get this timing belt out of the way. I am worried that it will break and I throw a rod or bend a vaule or some crap like that.

I mean would it be much better to take it in to get fixed? I mean If I can do it I would much rather it being me touching my car.

Please I need some help though, I need some pics, diagrams any thing you can give me.

Other info: 1992 323 1.6lt. 4cly. Standard Trasnsmission. No Power stearing, rack and pinoin. It does have A/C. Just replaced the drive belts in Nov. of last year.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Default RE: 323 Timing belt?!

any tackers?

Old 08-12-2006, 11:17 PM

i was hoping that babyhuey would take this one as he can give detailed info. if you have a good manual it should explain the procedure. it does not take any special tools to replace the timing belt. just some decent metric tools and a floor jack to support the engine when removing the front motor mount to access the belt. i would mark where the pulleys are positioned before removing the belt just in case one gets turned a tooth off. that way you will have a reference point.

the timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles on your car.

here is a diagram of the timing marks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1828/B15EC3AA1F034BEE9646EA8D432C38A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-13-2006, 09:00 PM

Ok so pretty much all I really need is a floor jack. I didn't even know I would have to take the front motor mount off? I am not even sure how to do this....

My manual is decent at best but I still would like info from you guys.

Most of the work I have done on my car I have found out is a lot simpiler that it seems to me. I guess I just like to know how to do every thing befor I accually do it.

If babyhuey could give me some detailed info that would be great. I would much rather do this my self then spend like 300-400 bucks to get it done somewhere eles.

who make a good timing belt kit out there? does felpro make one? also am I looking for one tensiner or two? and how do I replace those... the manual says the aren't hard to take off just need some screwdrivers.

I guess I can pretty much do this just need to know the steps on taking the front motor mount off and knowing I have every thing positioned right befor I put it all on.

Please I need some answers I really need to get this done soon.

I don't want it to snap on my lol.