Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

1999 626 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Default 1999 626 will not start

I bought a 1999 626 2.5L V6 Auto Trans last November. The person I got it from had the engine changed but was never able to get it started. They had misplaced the chip key so I got a new key made and has a locksmith come to the house and program it. I tried to start it but no luck. I determinded that the fuel pump was not working so I changed it. I can now hear the fuel pump with the key in the on position but it still will not start even after using some starter fluid. I checked the crankshift position sensor and got a reading of 585 ohms, 5 ohms over the max. I also checked the coil pack and from that to be ok. I went to the junk yard and got a crankshaft sensor that was within the proper ohm range and I got a new coil pack. The car would still not start. I have checked the timing and that is ok. The one thing the I found odd is when I pulled one of the spark plugs, to check to see if it had a spark, it seemed to be sparking faster than it should have been. Considering how fast the engine was turning, the plug seemed to spark 4 or more times for each turn of the engine. I am left thinking that the computer may be gone or that the computer is not the right one for the engine. I also tried th pull some codes but I get nothing, but I don't find that unusual considering the amount of time it has been sitting without a battery in it. Does anyone know what computer is suppose to be in this car? Any other help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by grhodes18; 05-25-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 PM

to tell u the truth a computer out of a 626 mx6 mx3 and a millinia with the 2.5 in it will work ohabd i know the mx3 has a 1.8 but the ecu is the same just a dif number

Old 05-28-2009, 07:37 PM

The original car ignition system, using a coil and distributor geared to run at camshaft speed fired the plug only once per 4 stroke cycle. The coil pack system fires at crankshaft speed, so each cylinder gets two hits, one near TDC on the top of the compression stroke, and the other near TDC on the top of the exhaust stroke (which does nothing, since there's nothing to burn.
Then with the 4 cylinder jobs anyway, two high voltage windings were wound on a common core, adding two more sparks per crankshaft turn, these occurring just after the bottom of the firing stroke, where again the effect is nil.
This arrangement has the advantage of simplicity plus a much stronger spark than is the case with the classic arrangement.
Its down side is that if the engine or ignition is off tune, the working spark can fail to ignite the highly compressed mixture, the redundant spark may succeed (a less compressed mixture being easier to flash). The result is horrible knock which is why a misfire detect is used to set the Malfunction Indicator Light (CEL) to its flashing mode. A flashing CEL (misfiring detected) is therefore, unlike a steady CEL, something you ignore at your peril.