Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

It's all installed and Fantastic!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A turn for the worst...

Larry, Larry, Larry.... So young.
About $14 and +/-2 hrs.
Jack up the car.Support the car on jack stands. Wear eye (safety glasses) and dust (a simple dust mask) protection. Get under there with some sandpaper or a scuffy (Scotch Brite) pad. Clean off the rust, and no it doesn't have to be perfect, but get as much of the dirt & dust off as is reasonable. You might even take it to a car wash first and power wash the undercarriage before attempting this, but it's not really necessary. Take your rattle can of rusty metal primer and spray all the newly scuffed surfaces. When that's dry (a few hours, or even a day if you can spare the time) you can do it again (second coat it,) or you can go straight to your rattle can of gloss black.
Protection is the name of the game here, not perfection... unless you want to spend the time and are that **** about it.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:54 AM

Alright that would work for me I guess, oh and yes I am young and learning thats why i am here at the young age of 17. I am leaning more twords replacing the exhaust with an AM system like Magnaflow. If I were to do that would I need to spray the new piping or just the old metal on the undercarrage? b/c wouldn't the new exhaust have a n anti rust or it or no, well i guess it depends on the exhaust. Ok so questions:

1) How long does it take to install a full cat back exhaust system if done profesionally (as in not me)?
2)Is there any horses to be gained from this engine with an exhasut I hear its minimal? But if so at all how much?
3) Are the following websites really reputable I got them from the thread in the mazda3 section for after market parts websites.

www.protegegarage.com
www.therpmstore.com
www.racinglab.com

Also, what is you opinion on the following.

Magnaflow cat-back exhaust and a vibrant catalytic converter.

Is the CC worth $135+shipping?

I keep refering to magnaflow b/c I see its fairly common on these cars so its gotta have something good about them I know Virgin1 u are all about the Vibrant and thats fine but I don't think they make one for the Mazda 6i.

Others are

Greddy Evo-2 Exhaust (more pricy tho at $900-10000 so probobly not
Racing Beat at $420 (seams a little low)
Apexi (again a little pricy and I hear not so great things)
Tanabe Concept-G ($500)
Magnaflow is retailed on their website at $700+ but therpmstore has it for $465

Old 08-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: larryjay57

... oh and yes I am young and learning thats why i am here at the young age of 17....
Well, I didn't know you were THAT young, but i knew you were trying to learn. I'm just messin' w/ya'. It's all part of the process, Man.
Some/most AM exhausts are Stainless, one reason they cost so damn much, but not all are.
1) It took me a little over an hour in my gravel driveway (OUCH!) to install mine. I don't think Vibrant makes one for the 6i. In fact from what I've seen very few make full cat-backs for the 6 series in general. Since it's considered more of a small family sedan you shouldn't be surprised, not to say that it can't be a nice street ride, or even w/e track car.
2) Yes.
3) I am familiar w/the first two and know people that have bought from them. The third I don't know.
4) In conjunction w/the higher flowing exhaust, sure, it willcompliment it.
5) See if theInjen it still available, though I believe the company discontinued it due to a lack of interest. I knew someone that had that on a 6s, 5-sp. 'Sounded good to me, and It seemed that it was SS too. In Wis, that would be a good thing in the long run.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:19 PM

Yes SS is what I am looking at, Magnaflows is 100% SS as well. I will look into the Injen as well thanks. You've been a great help.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 PM

Alright so here is the scoop...

Today I went ahead and bought the Magnaflow full cat-back exhaust system and the high flow metal core Vibrant catalytic converter. It will be here in about 3-5 business days and will be installed on saturday the 13th I beleave. The local shop says about 2-3 hours for the exhaust but then another 2ish to weld on the CC. That seams a little long for me but I guess it should be done right and its a very reputable installer in all manner of automobiles. The best part is I beleave i got a fantastic deal on it all.

Magnaflow exhaust on www.magnaflow.com is about $730...I got it from www.therpmstore.com for $465 including shipping. (Saving about $265)

Vibrant CC www.vibrantperformance.com $135 I got it for $120 including shipping. (website escapes me now I have it on my other computer, I will post it later)

All inall saved $280ish...all 100% SS!! yay no more rust

Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 PM

The website for the Vibrant catalytic converter was

www.verociousmotorsports.com

Old 09-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Go Larry, Go Larry!!
That does seem a little long to me too.It should not be that hard, and competent muffler shop will have a bender if needed, universal flanges and gaskets, hardware, and should be able to weld them on in almost no time... 45mins @ most!!
Before they start, ask if that was only an estimate on their part orif that's the timethey will bill you for. Keep an eye on them when they work on the car, and time them.
Oh and BTW: Pictures and a sound clip are a necessity after the install of course.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 PM

Oh I will have all of the goodies on the way, pics sound and most likely a link to youtube for a video!

I will most definatly keep an eye on them, I knoe the time they sayd was a rough estimate but its a bold on exhaust and the only welding that will need to be done is on the catalytic converter, and thats minimal. I know they have a bender and evrything so I will ask what takes so long if they quote me on the long side.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Default It's all installed and Fantastic!

Original: larryjay57, 9/15/2008 7:10:47 PM
OK so...pictures and video/sound clips are on the way, but I just had my Magnaflow Exhaust installed!! It looks and sounds great very conservative when cruising along at speed, but when it gets around 4000 or so when you step on it you can really tell theres something there, really respectable sounding.

So thats the good, the bad comes with the Vibrant catalytic converter, due to the dual oxygen sensors and it being an universal cat it would have caused CELs to go, and reduce gas millage, but Vibrant said that the stock Mazda one offers the same flow rate so power gains would be minuscule. SO, now I have the cat with no car to put it on it cost $118 with shipping so i will see how much i can get back by returning it, or see if i can sell it. Never been used 100% SS so with metal prices the way they are i may be able to get $100...what do you think. I would like to get at least $75 for it
[:'(]

Old 09-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: It's all installed and Fantastic!

And so, and so, and so....?
What happened Larry? Where are they? Need input.

Quick Reply: It's all installed and Fantastic!!