Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-38/)
-   -   It's all installed and Fantastic!! (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-38/its-all-installed-fantastic-15581/)

larryjay57 08-30-2008 07:18 PM

It's all installed and Fantastic!!

OK after a newly installed CAI from AEM the low rumble was really loud and overly noisy nothing like what it was described on any forum. No whoosh (well at least you couldn't hear it under the rumble). Turns out after one of my friends said the rear right seat was a lot louder than the left (being a dual exhaust its a little more than odd) sure enough with a quick glance under the car I saw that the rear right muffler where it connects to the y-pipe had rusted or something but in any case had completely disconnected.[:@]Hence the very loud and potentially very dangerous vehicle. So alas here is my question, what would it cast to repair the part, welding and possibly new piping for the muffler? And wouldn't it be just smarter to replace the exhaust system, ex: Magnaflow cat-back $500 w/installation. And about how many hours of labor do you think it would be to install:

A: The Cat-back exhaust system
B: The whole darn thing: F2 4-1 headers w/ catalytic converter and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust ($1000)

Also are F2 4-1 headers legal and if not what are some other ones for the Mazda 6i (2003) I am having some real issues finding ones that are 4-2-1 OR 4-1.

What would it cost to have one custom made? Is that safe?

Thanks I am in some serious need here :(

larryjay57 08-30-2008 07:19 PM

RE: A turn for the worst...

Pics in about 30min...

larryjay57 08-30-2008 07:52 PM

Pics might be too big so if they don't show up here I will have to down size them and put them in my album under my profile pic to the left, they would be the ones of the broken muffler...

larryjay57 08-30-2008 07:53 PM

Hold on re-try one at a time

[IMG]local://upfiles/12388/BCAA69B0D609476B9F5604288D12BCF1.jpg[/IMG]

larryjay57 08-30-2008 07:54 PM

[IMG]local://upfiles/12388/7B04B4D5CB344C919ED4759F70F4FF7F.jpg[/IMG]

larryjay57 08-30-2008 07:56 PM

#3 this is what is currently holding it on, should I take the muffler off then if I NEED to drive it? Like to a shop? I assume I do.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12388/5A15534569E8452DB3907A2535689B09.jpg[/IMG]

virgin1 08-30-2008 08:12 PM

OHHhhh... You were just aching for an excuse, weren't you Larry. I've got your number, Pal. ;):D:D:DWisconsin weather/road salt has taken it's toll has it?
A repair, if possible, of the OE would be far cheaper I'm sure, but... what do you want, and would you do it sooner or later anyway?Can you afford to do it now.
And as I'd said before, headers are not legal in any of these United States that I am familiar with, but you may be able to get away with it anyway. Many do.
Ask your local muffler shop for some advice. That's MY advice to you.

virgin1 08-30-2008 08:16 PM

MANnnnnn!!! Have you got some rust starting under there or what??
I think that could be repaired. It's not at the inlet of the muffler so a new flange welded to a cleaned up inlet pipe might do it.
I'd take some time and prep/repaint some of that undercarriage before it gets any worse, my friend.

larryjay57 08-30-2008 08:20 PM

Very true Virgin1 Wisconsin has that affect on cars, so ok yeah I guess i do have the money to do the exhast and catylitic converter then and I am thinking that will run about $600-700 in parts...and yeah I will ask my repair shop what the labor is and compare repairing prices with replacement. I am leaning twords replacing itm oh which reminds me does vibrant make an exhaust for the 2003 Mazda 6i. i haven't sean any but I know that there are a ton out there like Gredy, Apexi, Magnaflow etc and I can do my own reaserch and thi is a talked about subject so i will look at older threads for that.
As far as headers go then they will have to remain stock b/c I have to keep the car legal...ish[:'(]

Are high flow Catalytic converters worth it? or no?
I see the one that comes with the F2 header is only an added $100.

larryjay57 08-30-2008 08:25 PM

Oh yeah? hmm what do you think a repainting would run? I haven't even heard of painting the undercarage.