General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

will not shift out of park

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Default will not shift out of park

The vehicle is a 1996 Mazda MPV. It has an automatic transmission. We drove home and parked the vehicle in the yard. The vehicle will start but will not shift out of park. Has anyone had this problem. I was wondering could this be a mechanical or electrical problems.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Default RE: will not shift out of park

The shift lock solenoid in the steering column is not operating. It could be either a mechanically stuck link or electrical problem with either the shift lock solenoid or one of its inputs. Couple of easy things you can check without have volt meter or test light. First off check to make sure the 10 Amp 'METER' fuse in the underdash fuse box is not blown. Power is supplied to the shift lock solenoid thru this fuse. Also want to check and make sure the brake lights are operating normally when stepping on the brake pedal. This is one of the inputs that are needed for the Central Processing Unit or CPU to provide a ground path for the solenoid and allow it to operate normally. With key on, step on the brake pedal and see if you can hear any kind of noises from inside the column covers that might indicate the shift lock solenoid is trying to operate but is maybe stuck.
On the underside of the steering column cover is a hole large enough for a finger to poke into. Inside is the a lever that is an emergency override for the shift lock. Pushing on this lever should allow you to move out of Park as long as key is on.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:58 AM

I want to thank you. The fuse was blown. Replaced and we haven't had anymore problems. My nephew told me to go online with my problem. I was a bit skeptical. Thanks again babyhuey. I will definitely be a visitor to this site. c57heard!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 04:30 PM

Always nice to find out that it was something cheap and easy c57heard.[sm=happy046.gif]

Would like to extend a welcome to the Forum. Always nice to see a new member as we can all contribute when one has a problem or question. Usually an answer out there somewhere.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:02 PM

I have a similar problem (maybe the same one) but if I work at it long enough, the car (2003 Mazda Protege5) will eventually shift out of park. It's like something is blocking the shifter and once it moves out of the way, it will shift fine. It seems related to the temperature getting colder, but I may be hallucinating.

It's getting to the point, though, where it is getting difficult to shift back out of drive (only happened once, today). My wife just took the car out for a drive so I don't have access to the fuses to see if one is blown, but I'll check when she gets back.

Not sure if this is related, but today when I got it to shift out of park, out of curiosity, I tried to see if it would allow me to shift out of park without the brake depressed and it did. I wasn't expecting that. Any different ideas, or does this sound like the same problem? Thanks!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Default Shift lock solenoid not activating

Have a similar issue with 1991 MPV. my dash board went dead while diving the other day. i found the METER fused blown in the fuse box. I replaced it, and the dash lights etc is now back to normal, however the Shift lock solenoid is not engaging. Check and found that it is controlled by the CPU and requires the signal from the brake light switch, when test the signal, it works OK. the solenoid tested good as well.

My question is: what other signals (input to CPU) is required to activate this solenoid? or do I need to reset any computer etc? thanks.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 AM

Check your brake lights, blown bulbs can prevent you from shifting out of park, also its best if you create your own new thread rather than digging up VERY old ones, information in these old threads is outdated and may not apply anymore. Welcome to the forums! Dont forget to add your car to your signature, look at my sig for an example

Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 PM

I corrected the problem. i found a wire from the automatic trasmission broken and seem that that the cpu expects a signal from the transmission to operate properly. so i repaired the wire and the solenoid start working again.