General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 12:44 AM
Default Transmission

So I have a question I been watch videos saying it's a bad idea to change your transmission filter so I wanted to know what you guys think because my car runs great so let me know what I should do if I gotta change it I will thanks

Old 01-10-2024, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rhino831
So I have a question I been watch videos saying it's a bad idea to change your transmission filter so I wanted to know what you guys think because my car runs great so let me know what I should do if I gotta change it I will thanks
Welcome to the forum

Ya the internet is full of BS...

LOL

Think about what you asked?

About the only time I would NEVER service a transmission is the fluid had visual metal particles in the fluid. This means the filter is full and the only thing that is allowing the transmission to somewhat shift is the floating particle that give somewhat help the severely worn clutches engage . In other words your transmission is toast and will die any moment of mile.

Otherwise not sure what genius posted bad idea not to change a filter on a car in any area, i.e. cabin filter, engine oil filter, fuel filters, transmissions filter etc...

Old 01-10-2024, 12:10 PM

Yeah so why do oil companies like Jeffy lube etc do a transmission flush with the point in that

Old 01-10-2024, 12:28 PM

Yeah so why do oil companies like Jeffy lube etc do a transmission flush with the point in that
What are you talking about "point in that"?
Did you read my explanation clearly understanding it?
If you had a high mileage none previously service transmission, I would first pull the dip stick and at least visual examine the fluid. If I feel confident enough from my findings drop the pan and inspect what is on the magnet and the varnish on the valve body as well the crap that settles at the bottom of the transmission pan. Pulling the filter would have no direct effect on a simple transmission pan and filter change even if the transmission was full off copper flakes. I would however show EVERYTHING to the customer before continuing the basic filter and pan fluid service. If there was a high degree of copper flakes, I would not do a complete fluid replacement and state that on the service order with a cautionary advisory that the transmission will fail in the near future. If a shop based on my example continues mostly because of inexperience with the full fluid service, then it is likely that the transmission will fail within a few miles or right there in the shop. LOL
There is large misconceptions about what constitute a transmission service and shops that will not do a complete and proper full transmission service mostly because they do not have the PROPER Professional Transmission Service Equipment. I might also add many Jiffy lubes do not staff ASE Certified service professionals and also Jiffy Lube is a FRANCHISE BUSNIESS with independent owners. So insurance varies between the shops and what their coverage is. I would not necessarily be using a Jiffy Lube as a definitive and empirical source for your information about any Automatic Transmission and service from them> lol

Old 01-10-2024, 12:32 PM

So I have a question.......................... I wanted to know what you guys think because my car runs great so let me know what I should do if I gotta change it I will thanks

Year
miles
Model

Has the transmission been service at any time and what was the service?

Old 01-11-2024, 07:05 AM

Need some advice:

I have a 2021 Mazda CX30 with the 2.5L engine with 45,500 miles.Would you recommenf a transmission flush or just a fluid replacement?

Thanks

Last edited by geekgwk; 01-11-2024 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by geekgwk
Need some advice:

I have a 2021 Mazda CX30 with the 2.5L engine with 45,500 miles. Would you recommend a transmission flush or just a fluid replacement?

Thanks
Assuming this would be the first time the transmission was service? I would recommend first a pan and filter service.

ASE

Old 01-13-2024, 05:46 AM

Thanks