General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Default Timing HELP!!!

I had to pull the head off my 89 MX6 GT to have some machine work done. When I pulled it off i marked where the timing belt was positioned for a quick install but the guy that did the work decided to be nice and clean the head, thus washing my marks off. So my question is, what are the factory marks that I need to line up to get my timing belt in the right spot?

Old 09-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Default RE: Timing HELP!!!

Excellent shortcut in getting belt back on MX6nIT. Does not work worth a dang thought when someone else washes it right off.[:@]

Crankshaft is aligned like the drawing below. Notched out part of crank pulley needs to be lined up with the arrow on the front of the oil pump.
Your camshaft pulley should have #'s 1-4 spaced at 90' intervals around the front face of the pulley. Make sure that the alignment dowel pin on the camshaft is in the hole corresponding to the #1 mark if pulley was removed from cam. #1 spot with arrow should be at 12' o'clock position and arrow at #1 spot should needs to line up with the arrow mark molded into the front, top of the cylinder head.
Once belt is on rotate at least two full engine rotations to make sure that the marks are still lines up with tension on the belt.