General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Super Tight Plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 02:25 PM
Default Super Tight Plugs!

Hi All---

I've replaced probably hundreds of spark plugs in my cars and trucks over the years---In US domestic iron, and German and Japanese aluminum heads---These are the tightest I can remember removing. (It's been a while since I removed any that hadn't gotten some anti-seize)

I'm at 103,000 miles, a bit past the replacement time, but it runs like a top (now that I cleaned the throttle-body!) The engine compartment is pretty clean---some dust, but next to no greasiness. Everything under the snap-on shroud is clean---no corrosion.

I have walked up to the line in the amount of effort that I feel comfortable using to remove these plugs.

I'm considering a squirt of penetrating oil down each spark plug tube and letting it sit overnight. This Mazda is also the most modern vehicle (2010) I have ever worked on (or owned.) Do I risk some reaction or contamination that would mess with the computer's sensors or some other thing?

Many Thanks!

JW

Old 04-24-2020, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Definitely drown the plugs in penetrating oil. Also the next day, wind them out 1/4 turn, then back in, wind out 1/2 turn, wind back in etc etc

Once they are out, crank the engine over to blow out any residue without engine load.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:22 AM

Excellent, Thanks!

Glad I let it lie...

By the way, this 2.5 has the best access to the plugs of any engine I've worked on!

JW

Old 04-24-2020, 11:26 AM

Hopefully all it is carbon on the threads. I would follow what grim_reaper recommends.
DON'T FORCE...... or you may damage the threads or completely strip it. In which case you will need to time-sert a spark plug hole
I would recommend to purchase a spark plug thread chaser before you install new spark plugs.

You are a good reason why I always suggest for people to change their spark plugs much sooner then the FSM and more so when your engine is over 50k miles.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:37 AM

I think I have a fairly good feel for the amount of force that's safe to apply---I didn't get even the tiniest movement and abandoned the attempt.
I've never forgotten having to pay to have a helicoil inserted into my '67 VW bus...PO error, mine to pay for...on an 18 year old's budget!

I've never seen or heard of a spark plug thread chaser---I'll look into it. Thanks, Callisto.

JW

Old 04-24-2020, 12:06 PM

Here is one of a few I have on hand for spark plug thread chasing.

I highly recomend with any damaged thread to do a permanent thread repaid using a Time-sert. I keep a large section of Time-sert and thread remover/ extractors mostly for DIY customers, friends and family that had troubles...... hahaha!

Old 04-24-2020, 12:12 PM

Awesome!
I'll look into Time-Sert, too.
Fingers crossed for no thread damage.

JW

Old 04-24-2020, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by surfcraft
Excellent, Thanks!

Glad I let it lie...

By the way, this 2.5 has the best access to the plugs of any engine I've worked on!

JW
I soooooooooo agree with this. !!!!!

Old 04-25-2020, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

FYI : Spark plugs for the 2010 2.5 should be changed every 60,000 miles / 100,000kms.

So either they have never been changed and are just rusted in place or some ******** over-tightened them when the replaced them.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:10 AM

Could be either one!
I bought the Mazda with 61,000 miles on it, and it looked brand new. The engine compartment was spotless.
Supposedly newly tuned-up.

Could I give the plugs a couple squirts of PB Blaster, drive it bit, and repeat for a few days?
Thinking the heat/cool cycle plus the engine vibrations might work it in?

JW

Quick Reply: Super Tight Plugs!