General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stuck in limp mode.. please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 05:37 AM
Default Stuck in limp mode.. please help!

Hi and thanks to all that contribute to these forums as they are priceless and owning an rx8 without the wealth of knowledge would be so much harder!.Im really hoping someone can help with my problem .i have a 2004 model sstuck in limp mode with no error codes apart from p2106 (( throttle actuator control sytem forced limited power) which i believe just tells me its in limp mode . The problem first started when after a drive next time it would start in limp mode ie.(starts and revs at approx 2500 with practically no accellerator response exept increase to 3000revs) .Doing the brake pedal stomp reset worked for a couple of drives after that but now makes no diffefence. I searched the forums and found out it was most likely the oil metering pump ,so i replaced that and also tried another throttle body but no luck! I have a bluetooth obd and the torque app , but even the local mechanics snap on code reader didnt get any other codes ..One thing that i think maybe is a clue is that the code will only clear for 4 seconds and comes straight back on , the error code comes on before i even start the car . Maybe someone can tell whether I can use some of the info of the torque app to narrow it down? Any help/info anyone may have will be greatly appreciated .. i just dont know where to look next!

Old 04-10-2020, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

P2106 will cause limp mode because the PCM can't read or trust the throttle position.

DTC P2106 : Throttle actuator control system-forced limited power

DETECTION CONDITION
• The PCM monitors the throttle actuator control current when the ignition switch is on. If the control current is less than 8 A or more than 11 A, the PCM determines that the throttle actuator control system is under forced limited power.

Diagnostic support note
• This is a continuous monitor (CCM).
• The MIL illuminates if the PCM detects the above malfunction condition in the first drive cycle.
• PENDING CODE is available if the PCM detects the above malfunction condition.
• FREEZE FRAME DATA is available.
• The DTC is stored in the PCM memory.

POSSIBLE CAUSE
• Throttle actuator malfunction
• Connector or terminal malfunction
• Open circuit in wiring harness between throttle body terminal A and PCM terminal 1B
• Short to power supply in wiring harness between throttle body terminal A and PCM terminal 1B
• Short to GND in wiring harness between throttle body terminal A and PCM terminal 1B
• Open circuit in wiring harness between throttle body terminal B and PCM terminal 1C
• Short to power supply in wiring harness between throttle body terminal B and PCM terminal 1C
• Short to GND in wiring harness between throttle body terminal B and PCM terminal 1C
• PCM malfunction

Old 04-10-2020, 06:59 PM

Thanks for your detailed reply!. Much appreciated, .. i can stop just staring at it and actually try fix it again!!

Old 04-12-2020, 01:49 AM
Default Limp mode fixed!!

Im glad to say i finally had a win .it turns out that after all that stuffing around with changing mop and throttle body and checking /testing all the wiring from t.b to pcm . It was just a bad relay!!. The drive by wire relay (ETV) im really hoping others that are suffering from limp mode find this post so hopefully so they can try this first . I did a massive amount of reading on several forums and didnt come accross anyone suggesting to look at the relay.. so glad i found i

Old 08-12-2021, 11:19 PM

I think you should use a better scanner like Foxwell NT624 this is a good scanner. You can also look for other good scanners and procedures for repair and troubleshooting at youcanic.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:04 AM

I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my car, and it turns out that I got a faulty MAF Sensor. I scanned my car with OBD2 Tester, and it confirms that my MAF Sensor was defective that causes this limp mode issue. I did a lot of searches on this issue and came on in depth article which may be worth reading, search for "Vehicle Transmission Stuck in Gear Limp Mode on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes, you can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.