General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

squeeeeeealing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Default squeeeeeealing brakes

Does anybody have a solution for squeeling brakes? My b2600i has the loudest squealing front brakes I've ever heard. Pads are new, rotors are true and in good shape, guy in the local tire store who sold me a new set of tires threorized that a sharp edge on the pads causes it and he took off the pads and used a grinder to bevel the edges. It honestly helped a little bit, but they still squeal so bad it's embarassing. When I'm pulling into a parking space people on the sidewalk cover their ears and give me dirty looks it's so bad. I don't mean a wimpy little squeek, I mean an ear piercing shrill high pitched squeeeeeeeeeeal. Mechanic friend says sometimes they do that - - - get used to it. It's worse in cold and damp weather - - - not so bad when it's warmer but still a problem. Anybody any ideas?

Rolomac

Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Default RE: squeeeeeealing brakes

have you tried checking the pins in the calipers to make sure that they are not sticking or damaged and are lubed properly with high temp extreme presure grease[htep grease] if that doesn't fix it try coating the back of the pads with disc quiet this is like and anti friction glue for the pads and will stop them squiling against the piston, these fixes are really cheap under 10 dollars each, i had the same problem with my own vehicle and the disk quiet work wonders eliminating the squil

Old 03-21-2008, 11:05 PM

Hey thanks for the suggestions - - - question - - - is disk quiet the name of a product I can buy? is so, where? thanks again
Rolomac

Old 03-22-2008, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Man, I haven't used that stuff in years!!
It used to be made by CRC and comes in a clear plastic bottle (w/the printing on it) but the stuff is/was red so it shows through and makes the bottle look red.
If you decide to try that, you'll have to wait for it to set-up a few hoursbefore driving the vehicle or it will just squish out and you'll be in the same boat as before.
I've also had luck using a piece of gasket material cut to fit the back of the pad, and/or spreading a thin layer of Disc Brake Quiet on both sides of it. But as suggested, make sure everything else is clean, straight and lubricated too.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:44 AM

You can pick up disc quiet at NAPA, another suquestion look at the rotors and make sure they are blued. My blazer has blued rotors and tey squeel like crazy. If it is blued and you have enough rotor try and get them machined. Another cause could be the make up of the pad, like metalic, or semi metalic too. But start cheep first like the disc quiet, lube the pins, and if it still squeels then maybe try and get them machined.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:09 PM

At my shop we've found a few common causes for brake squeal.

The most common being just plain cheap pads. If you buy the $13.99 lifetime pads theyre essential made of diamond dust so theyll never have to warranty them (an exaggeration obviously).

The second leading cause in my experience is lack of preperation. Rotors are coated in kosmoline so they wont rust on the shelf. If you dont clean them thoroughly with brke cleana nd sruff them with a roloc pad or scotchbrie, they often squeal.

Third most likely is the pads are actually squealling against the caliper piston. Thats where the "brake quiet" comes in. We use a product made by NAPA call "Sil-glyde". It works great to lubricate all contacting surfaces. Caliper pins, pad slides, and the piston where it meets the pads.

Hope those suggestion help to some extent.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

VERY good info, OG!!! Thanks for posting it.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 PM

No problem at all. I've got a veritable treasure trove of useless automotive information in my head. haha.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

I know EXACTLY what you mean by that statement.