Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Squeaky Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Default Squeaky Brakes!

I am new to this forum I have a 2004 Mazda 3 5-Door...Man my brakes are squeaky! They intermittently begin squeakin', even worse when they get wet. Is anybody else having this problem?

Old 07-08-2005, 11:13 PM
Default RE: Squeaky Brakes!

Give your dealer a call. There no bulletin yet, but I've seen some info on changing pad material for this problem. Don't know if this has gotten around yet. Can call Mazda customer service in your owners manual. The more complaints their hear, the sooner research begins.
l

Old 07-09-2005, 01:16 AM

I have a 3i and my brakes were squeekin too. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. I don't believe that, so everytime I go in for service I complain. The more people who complain the sooner it will be fixed, just like the windsheild wipers on '04 Mazda3. If you have not asked about the windshield wipers on '04s do it, they replace the arms and the water actually gets cleared away, unlike the originals.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:31 PM

TIS IS A COMMON OCCURANCE ON THIS MODEL-WHEN WET ITS NORMAL OPERATION,HOWEVER THERE IS A TSB FROM MAZDA FOR SOME UPDATED BRAKE PAD CRADLES AND PADS

TAKE YOUR
VEHICLE TO THE DEALER AND HAVE THEM TRY THIS BULLETIN

Old 08-13-2005, 12:06 AM

I took it in and they did say there was a bulletin but they said that it only applied to the back brakes. I told them it was the fronts that were squeaking. They just did the backs. Long story short...they still squeak. Not as bas but they still squeak (from the front) especially on declines going down.

Old 08-16-2005, 06:48 AM

There is a TSB to replace rear brake pads for Mazda 3s built on 04 and 05
see link http://www.finishlineperformance.com.../docs/0028.pdf
You should be able to get this done under warranty
Squeaky brakes seem to be a common fault with Mazda 3s. Mine squeak in the cold or damp conditions and in the morning when the car hasn't been driven for several hours. Also the rear brake pads create some brake dust on the rear wheels. I got my Mazda Dealer to look at the brakes and they replaced the rear pads under warranty. The pads are a slightly different compound. They have eliminated brake dust but they still squeak in the morning. Once they have squeaked, the noise disappears and they operate normally.
I can live with the situation, but will properly get my Mazda Dealer to look at them again at the next service

Old 08-18-2005, 06:14 AM

Has anyone changed from factory pads to ceramic pads?
I heard that ceramic pads are much quieter in operation, produce less brake dust, last just as long as the factory pads and don't groove the rotors as much. Is this true? Has anyone tried ceramic pads on their Mazda 3 and do they live up to their reputation?
Also who manufacturers these pads and where can you obtain them?

Old 08-18-2005, 10:10 AM

The reason brakes squeal is because the pads and the disks run smooth on each other. it is kind of like the disk polishing the pad, i'm not sure how this occurs but i believe it is a result of dirt and grease.

you can score your pads with sandpaper or have them changed but the problem will soon return. one way to get rid of the probelm is to have slotted rotors/disks fitted. the pads should wear quicker but you require less pedal force to stop, so generally they will generally last the same time.

its probably the only way of getting rid of the problem.