General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sqeaky Creaky

Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Default Sqeaky Creaky

Hi,
Trying to narrow my problem down. I have a Mazda 99 B2500. The steering and or suspension sqeaks and creaks like the Dickens. When I push down on the front fender it sqeaks and when I move the steering left and right it sqeaks. It only has 50k. Not sure if I should replace the shocks or ball joints. Any and all help appreciated.
Mike

Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 AM

Mike, I would first try lubricating some parts. At the parts store you can get a grease injection needle that fits on a grease gun and inject the grease through the rubber boots into the ball joints and the tie rod ends. In the worst case you have to replace some joints. Sway bar bushings and control arm bushings can squeak too. You could try lubricating them with silicone grease.
I have done that on a car and it made the steering smoother.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 AM

Tan,
Thanks. I had the wheel off to inspect the ball joints and the rubber boots are completely shot. I did do all the things you suggested which made a slight difference but yeah, it looks like those joints need to come out and replaced.
Thanks so much for your help,
Mike