General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

sputtering/misfire - coil or bad gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Default sputtering/misfire - coil or bad gas?

Hello. I'm new to the forum - just had my first head-scratching problem show up, so here I am looking for help. I have an '02 MPV ES, 62k miles. The van has a jerking or hesitation in acceleration, with an occasional burp in the idle while in gear. It's pretty mild, just a slight jerking as the engine seems to miss. Idle in park seems to be fine, and it revs okay, with maybe a little stumble down low.

So here's the question: my wife first reported the problem -- she went on an errand and the van ran fine, but the return trip she had the sputter/misfire -- it was not a problem that crept up. It wasn't there and then it was. 40 miles earlier I filled up at a station I don't normally use (okay, yes, it wasa cheapo convenience store, about 15 cents a gallon cheaper in the latest upspike in prices). What are the chances that it's just a tank of bad gas, vs. the coil problems I've read a lot about? No problems right after fill up and the van was very empty at the time. I put a bottle of Heet in to deal with any water. It might be a little better now, or I'm just hopelessly optimistic.

Also, before I pay someone to take the manifold off and replace the back three plugs and coils, any reason why I shouldn't replace the three front plugs, buy one coil and swap it among those three, hoping to get lucky?

Thanks for the help. Jim

Old 02-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: sputtering/misfire - coil or bad gas?

Hey Jimmy!! Welcome to the forum!!
To answeryour question, I'd blame it on your wife and her driving. That's what I always do. It works every time.
j/k
I'm sorry to hear of your problem and yes, replacing parts just to hit on a possible solution could get very expensive very quickly, but Ireally don't have a good answer to your question.

MayI suggest you post it (I'd copy, paste and edit this post for the ease of it) to the General Tech and MPV sections of this forum. Perhaps someone w/the V6 there has had the same problem and would be able to offer you a possible solution?

Anyway, Welcome!!

Old 10-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Default RE: sputtering/misfire - coil or bad gas?

Aloha I have a 2001 MPV and it chugs/jerks at about the 45-50 mph mark consistently.It doesn't seem to do this at any other speed. It has been doing this for quite awhile. Recently it started doing it when the car is started and put into reverse. The check engine light has been on consistently too. It flashed on and off one time but typically stays lit. It doesn't seem to be affecting the car in any other way.What could be causing this? The only other thing I have is that problem with the anti theft device that keeps the car from being started and shuts down my car occasionally(I think its related to moisture/electrical) Any help is greatly appreciated!