General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Soot on tail pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 06:09 PM
Question Soot on tail pipe

I am getting black soot forming on the bottom edge of both tailpipes. Looks awful. I have to wipe it off every time I wash the car. My car is 2021 CX-5 Turbo with only 11K miles. Is this normal?? It is the only CX-5 that I see with this symptom.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:32 AM

Generally this is normal.

There will be more if you let the engine warm longer idling during cold starts. I would recommend that when you start the engine as soon as the RPM drops to below 1000 RPM start driving. Also driving limited times and distance can affect what the tail pipe looks like. The exhaust needs to get to complete operating temperatures and exhaust speed velocity to keep it clean. This means city driving vs highway you are going to see more exhaust deposits on the tail pipe.

Then there is the mechanical indicators. Are you burning oil> You would need to frequently check it to see if it has started and/or increased? If that is the case, then take it to the Dealer if still under warranty and have them check it which will also be documented on your VIN!

Old 11-24-2022, 10:33 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 11-24-2022, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the quick response. My concern is that mine is the only CX-5 that seems to show this condition. My son has a 2019 w/o the turbo and its tailpipes are nice and clean.

Old 11-24-2022, 12:46 PM

Well as i said if you are concerned get it documented at MAZDA. Comparing another vehicle or what you find posted by owners on the internet is not the best collection of information?
I am sure if you took a clean whit wipe or your figure in your sons tail pipe it would come out some what black? Other factors effecting the tail pips , gas type (brand) and octane, ambient operating temperatures', state of tune and the supporting parts, air filter, spark plugs, MAP, IAT sensors, battery to name a few.

My Mazda is about as well maintained as humanly possible and because 5 days a week I drive from cold start round trip to wife's work and home less than 3 miles I get pictured below.

Exhaust is highly corrosive and toxic unless it is removed by exhaust velocity and the high exhaust temperatures. The longer down the exhaust system from the time it leaves the combustion chamber you will not only support long power but maintain a very clean exhaust system. Most however don't really go to that extent of upgrading the stock or performance exhaust systems to benefit that.

I just took these pictures for this thread, miles on late production 2018 2.5 N/A 42904 miles.

A quick run of my figure at the trialing edge of tail pipe.

Old 11-26-2022, 01:39 PM
Default Pretty sure it's normal.

My new (750 Mi) CX-9 also has some black soot on the tailpipes. Oil level is still on 'full' so the soot is likely from gasoline. My previous 2 cars, both Ford Eco boost 2.0 also had soot on tailpipes though neither one used any oil. Ford said it was normal with their turbo 4's, especially if driver mostly in town.
If you find out that this is not the case please let me know so I can keep a closer eye on things.

Old 11-26-2022, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hud1964
My new (750 Mi) CX-9 also has some black soot on the tailpipes. Oil level is still on 'full' so the soot is likely from gasoline. My previous 2 cars, both Ford Eco boost 2.0 also had soot on tailpipes though neither one used any oil. Ford said it was normal with their turbo 4's, especially if driver mostly in town.
If you find out that this is not the case please let me know so I can keep a closer eye on things.
Your engine is a long way off from being completely broke in which on MAZDA 2.5 Skyactiv engine is around 13k miles. So your tail pipe observation may not be indicative to anything, normal or to watch yet.
Just keep up on your oil and filter service. Your first one based on oil analysis I have read from may members on different forums posting them may be better before 5k miles. And I would not really wait past 5 k miles for the first one.

Old 11-26-2022, 03:35 PM
Default Old School Guy

Plan on 1st oil/filter change at 1000-1200 miles with Mobile-1 and OEM filter.
I have always done this with new cars and even if it's $$$ down the drain, I sleep well at night.
I don't believe my new CX-9 has any problems and the soot is just from running a little rich when cold, temp in the mid teens a couple weeks ago.
Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-26-2022, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hud1964
Plan on 1st oil/filter change at 1000-1200 miles with Mobile-1 and OEM filter.
I have always done this with new cars and even if it's $$$ down the drain, I sleep well at night.
I don't believe my new CX-9 has any problems and the soot is just from running a little rich when cold, temp in the mid teens a couple weeks ago.
Thanks for the reply.
Thumbs up........ sorry this forum does not have a emo-thumbs up yet ! Your combo for filter and oil is perfect!
As with your thoughts about the small black tailpipe residue.