General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is Something wrong With My turbo...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Default Is Something wrong With My turbo...Help!

I have only had my MS3 for 2 weeks now and I think something is wrong with it. There have been about 10 occasions where I really punched it hard and the car went nowhere. It sounded as if the turbo didn't kick in. I'm aware of the turbo lag and this wasn't it. It only seems to happen when I really punch it in first and then into second. The RPM's rev but there's no acceleration behind it. Is there a belt that controls the turbo? Could it be slipping? I know when things are running right because that baby throws me back in my seat and I'm sooo happy. The vehicle is under warranty but I don't want any tech's taking it apart if they don't have to. Any Speed3 guru's out there? Please help!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Default RE: Is Something wrong With My turbo...Help!

If your engine is putting out bluish gray smoke, then it's most likely dead. I just got a speed 3 also, and I've had mine for approximately 2 months, but have not had any turbo problems. Are you letting the engine idle after driving for at least 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes? However, you should definitely take it to your dealership, and have them check the vehicle. It's the best thing you can do for that car, and for your price tag and warranty.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:10 PM

No smoke or anything else that would indicate something is wrong.Are you asking if I let my engine idle 30-90 seconds before "turning it off"? Your post just asked me if I was letting it idle after driving it. A lil confused!! Anyway, I do not let it idle. Should I be? I pull up the parking brake, turn it off and go.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, you areaware that the Speed has an electronic override to aid in traction control in the lower gears aren't you? If you are "punching it" hard, then the DTC may be overriding your right footto keep the front tires from burning to the ground.

And yes! You should either take the time to let the hot oil leave the turbo and be replaced w/fresher, cooler oil before shutting her down, or invest in a turbo timer to doit for you.
The oil left in a hot turbo charger can coke up (burn!) and cause all sorts of serious problems down the road... like very short trubo bearing life.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 AM

AM I glad I joined this froum...you guys are great. Maybe I should sit down this weekend and read the owners manual from front to back. The problem only happens when I punch it in 1st and 2nd so that could very well be it. It feels like there is something governing the turbo. How does it feel when the traction control overide kicks in? Does it keep it from engaging the turbo? When it occurs it feels just like a regular 2.3 engine accelerating.PLease respond if you can Virgin 1. I'm thinking about taking her to the dealership today and it pains me to think about her not being in the driveway (we bonded very quickly). Again, very pleased I joinedthis forum. Adios!

Old 03-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

The power to the engine is limited electronically,and I don't THINK it disallows the turbo from kicking in, but it might? It was in all the magazines that wrote about the MS3 before and as it was being released. It's also what limits it's ability to be even quicker, though for a street car for thesafety factor of it, it seems to be a good trade-off. It's helps keep the steering wheel in your hands when accelerating hard too. a.k.a. torque steer.

Like you suggested, take some time and read the manual. Hopefully it will tell you all you need to know.If not, perhaps your dealer, or MazdaUSA can help. Just e-mail 'em or give 'em a call.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:34 PM

1) Leave your car idle for at least 30 secs to 1 minute when you cold start it to let the engine (and all it components and fluids) warm up. I let mine run idle until the temp gauge shows a little higher than "C".

2) Leave your car idle for at least 30 seconds to a 1 1/2 minutes, depending on how you were driving. I let it idle for 2-3 minutes. once again thats excessive, but i dont care!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:55 AM

I took her to Mazda yesterday and the head tech took her for a spin and I'm proud to say that she's OK. It seems that it was the traction system governing the acceleration. He showed me a couple ways to kind of "get around it". He told me to wait until I get to around 3k RPM to really lay into it in 1st gearor take it easy in first and then punch it in second. Both of those options seem to get me the performance I want.

I have always given her plenty of time to warm up, but the whole 30 seconds to a 1/1/2 minute cool down thing was new to me. I have been letting the oil cool in the turbo since you all told me too. Thanks guys! Now...where do I find some nice fitting front sear covers? I have a dog andhe slobbers a lot so I'd like to keep the front seats as new as possible. I just put a huge blanket down in the back when he's in there but that isn't helping the front seats. Gracias

Old 03-08-2008, 05:55 PM

I wondered if it was still necessary to let a turbo idle for a while before shutdown. And yes, the reviews all say the computer limits the torque in 1st and 2d to reduce torque steer.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

I don't own a Speed, but if I did, I'dprobably invest in a turbo-timer, just in case I was running late and didn't have time to let it idle before getting out.
A turbo is still a turbo after all.

Quick Reply: Is Something wrong With My turbo...Help!