General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problem with Homelink on new mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Default Problem with Homelink on new mirror

Hello,

I had a Gentex Auto-dimming Mirror (Mazda part 8c-Z02) installed in my wife's CX-9. This was a Christmas gift. The mirror was installed at the dealership Friday.
The auto-dimming feature and compass work fine. I am having no luck with the Homelink. I followed the basic instructions (hold outer Homelink buttons down together for 20 seconds). Nothing seems to work. The LED light remains a steady green no matter what buttons I push. I never get a blinking light or a red light. I called Homelink and had them walk me through programming. They determined there was a problem b/c the green light remained steady. I have programmed several Homelink systems in my life and this one is just not responding--this is not a syncing problem--it never gets to that point.
Has anyone had this problem? Right now my wife has a really expensive compass in her car--not much of a Christmas gift. I am going back to the dealer but what to go armed with some info:
1) Is this a defective mirror?
2) Is this a wiring issue?
I appreciate any info that you can provide.

Thanks,
Ed

Old 01-12-2011, 05:05 PM

I just had an auto dimming mirror with homelink installed in my wifes cx-7 today. I got home and programmed it no problem. It was a little confusing about how long to hold the buttons, and figuring out if the light was at a "fast blink" or "slow blink". But I got it programmed eventually. I just had to go through the steps twice for it to work. Sounds like you have a defective mirror. Bummer.