Premature Power Steering System Failues in Late Model Mazdas - Page 2 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Banned

I have not found anything on when to change the power steering fluid on my Mazda 6 2006 V6. I recently had it changed. I believe every 4-5 years this should be changed. I put in Synthetic Redline D4 Auto transmission fluid: Red Line Synthetic Oil - Automatic Transmission Fluids - D4 ATF .
It only takes 1 quart so please go synthetic!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 PM

This must be a stupid question, but who cares; I want to know.

We are supposed to put ATF in the power steering reservoir? What is in the bottles at the stores labeled "Power Steering Fluid"?

Update: I did a google search and, although there are some skeptics, it's a common practice. I can't check my owners manual because it's in Texas with the car but I'll be checking it the next time it comes home.

Last edited by Bstew7890; 01-09-2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: update.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

I can't completely confirm this, but have heard a lot of noise lately about specific kinds of power steering fluids, and that you must know which kind your car requires so as not to cause long-term, or short-term damage to the system. I know Hondas have been like this for years... or at least they want you to think that. As far as I am aware, they were the ones to start this power steering fluid trend.
Leave it to the auto industry to screw up what used to be a very simple thing. Everything has to be specific to your vehicle these days.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 AM

Default 2006 Mazda6 Steering Lock

I own 2006 Mazda6 and have around 104K miles on it. About 10 days back (04/03/2014) my car had its first steering lock. I was driving it around 35-40 mph. I could barely turn it to right, very tight though. Once I restarted the car, it was unlocked. Now this morning (04/14/14) while driving at around 35-40 mph, I heard a loud thud, which at first I thought I hit something on the car but I didn't see anything in the rearview mirror. Immediately after the noise, the steering wheel was locked. This time pulling to the right was harder than the first incident, almost non-movable. Restart the vehicle and steering is unlocked. I have read about Mazda4 problems. I have also reported this at NTSB website and I am going to call the dealer.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
I own 2006 Mazda6 and have around 104K miles on it. About 10 days back (04/03/2014) my car had its first steering lock. I was driving it around 35-40 mph. I could barely turn it to right, very tight though. Once I restarted the car, it was unlocked. Now this morning (04/14/14) while driving at around 35-40 mph, I heard a loud thud, which at first I thought I hit something on the car but I didn't see anything in the rearview mirror. Immediately after the noise, the steering wheel was locked. This time pulling to the right was harder than the first incident, almost non-movable. Restart the vehicle and steering is unlocked. I have read about Mazda4 problems. I have also reported this at NTSB website and I am going to call the dealer.
I have a 2006 Mazda 6 and changed my power steering fluid at 30,000 miles. You've gone 104,000 miles without changing it!!!!
Have you ever changed your brake fluid, coolant, tranny fluid?

There is no such thing as real lifetime fluid or never ever have to change the fluid! Lifetime fluid is bogus as this may only be achievable under IDEAL conditions all the time (weather, driving like a grandma, not driving real short trips)!

Good Luck.!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin View Post
I have a 2006 Mazda 6 and changed my power steering fluid at 30,000 miles. You've gone 104,000 miles without changing it!!!!
Have you ever changed your brake fluid, coolant, tranny fluid?

There is no such thing as real lifetime fluid or never ever have to change the fluid! Lifetime fluid is bogus as this may only be achievable under IDEAL conditions all the time (weather, driving like a grandma, not driving real short trips)!

Good Luck.!
You assumed that I have never changed the oil. I consistently change all the fluids including P/S on regular basis, had first one around 30K and second around 80K. Took the car to mechanic for service and he said it didn't take much of P/S fluid even though I thought its low. I'll check the grounding wires, which several have reported fixed the problem.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
You assumed that I have never changed the oil. I consistently change all the fluids including P/S on regular basis, had first one around 30K and second around 80K. Took the car to mechanic for service and he said it didn't take much of P/S fluid even though I thought its low. I'll check the grounding wires, which several have reported fixed the problem.
Yes i did assume, and made an *** out of u and me!
Grounding wires is weird.
All background service info needs to be included in original post for a proper answer. Please remember this in future. Any mods should also be listed: check my signature out-----it helps the people who are responding.
Maybe he put wrong fluid in?

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 04-15-2014 at 08:11 PM.