General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ok this will be a hard one...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Default ok this will be a hard one...

Ok my car is a 92 323 1.6 lit. 4cly. Manual. Every thing is pretty much stock except for a few things that were replaced but all are OE.

Ok lately when I am trying to give it some gas in about 2nd gear and up it feels like its just reving aslong as I hold the gas so I left of for a bet, I guess to let it catch up then it works just fine no over revining.

I know this is so hard to explain with out having someone drive it or listen to it.

Also sometimes I can hear a sqeeking, soulds like my drive belt or a pully or tensiner or something like that? Not sure what its is but it sould eather like its loose or its just sliping just a bit sometimes.

Any help or advice on what to look for would be great thanks guys.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Default RE: ok this will be a hard one...

i had the same problem with my KIA i found out that my timing belt was off, as for the squeaking my friends sister's Eclipse also squeaked (manual) and we found out that the pullies were tightened to tight we loosened them (they did i just made the suggestion) and no more squeak

Old 03-20-2006, 11:39 PM

It sounds like the clutch is starting to slip if I read this correctly. I have included some specs on where your clutch pedal should be and it will hopefully be adjustable.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1828/C17A49A23DBA410E9A1DAF70658BA8D2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1828/31A933545E5441CE80C117A103965E82.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1828/C41D228CD82F4EE68B9062E60A6930F9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-20-2006, 11:52 PM

Sounds like the clutch to me too. Any smells associated with the slipping? (A burnt clutch smells like hell.)

Tracker,
If your timing belt was off, your car would run like **** all of the time (intake/exhaust valves not opening/closing at the right time for proper compression/expulsion of the fuel/air mixture.)

Old 03-21-2006, 12:06 AM

exactly why i had to refuel so often, it did run like ****, it was ****, hell i took it off roading once did not push it hard, there we were no bumps no potholes, just very muddy as soon i got finished my alternator belt flew off, god KIA's suck id pick a Geo Metro over any KIA any day (stupid South Korea) btw if anybody has not noticed, KIA copies body styles[:'(]

Old 03-21-2006, 12:20 AM

oops double post

Old 03-21-2006, 12:22 PM

Yeah this is what I was afraid of, I had thought it might be my clutch but was hoping it wasn't. No smell just yet.

Any ideas oh how to fix, how much one would cost and if I can do this my self?

I have never done any kind of clutch work befor but I think I have a friend that could give me a hand or some help....

I have been wanting to get a new clutch any way but I don't if its going to cost me around 300 to fix... but if I have to pay the price then so be it.

well give me some ideas please... thanks for all the help.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:56 PM

If you've never done it before, I'd have someone else do it.

If you clutch is slipping now, it will only get worse. Your options are:

1) Sell the car as is (a tough sell and most likely you'd lose more money than the cost to replace the clutch)
2) Keep the car and live with it as is (it will eventually give way, probably at the worst possible time, then you're left stranded)
3) Replace the clutch (get a good aftermarket unit, so that if you add power to your car through mods, the clutch won't wear out prematurely...I'm not too familiar with small car clutches, but I always had good luck with Centerforce clutches.

Figure on parts plus a few hours of labor (I don't know how hard it is to pull the trans, but the clutch is between the trans and engine, so either the trans needs to come out to get to the clutch.)

Old 03-21-2006, 03:49 PM

You know this is what i would do keep it and make it a show car you know make a hobby out of it and get a 6

Old 03-21-2006, 08:37 PM

In my opinion it is a rather easy job to do, but I have done many clutch jobs before. I would guess a shop would be around 5 hrs labor plus price for parts.

If you do not have a manual, it would be best to invest in one. That way you can read through it to learn the process if nothing else.

Quick Reply: ok this will be a hard one...