General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

noisy clutch / M5

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Default noisy clutch / M5

Hi All-

My family and I bought a Mazda 5 on June 27th. It handles nicely and is flexible with the three rows. I noticed after driving it for a few days that the clutch would make a squeaky sound when depressed. After taking it in and having it looked at by the service department, they assessed that the clutch master cylinder was noisy. They ordered the part and in the interim I drove the car. At this point the clutch made more of a popping sound when depressed. Today I picked up the car after they replaced the master cylinder and could still hear the same sound. I was in a rush so I couldn't discuss it with the service dept. The clutch seems to work just fine, but the popping sound is annoying. Could it be that the throw-out bearing needs to be greased, or is it something else?

Thanks much!

Jefferson

Old 08-21-2005, 01:40 AM
Default RE: noisy clutch / M5

Hi Jefferson and welcome to the forum.
Your vehicle is so new that there may not be many who have as yet experienced a similar condition. Did the squeak go away and was replaced by the popping sound or was the squeak still there along with the popping sound before clutch master replaced?? Do you feel that replacement of the master cylinder helped any of the noises? You describe the noise as 'hearing' but can you also 'feel' a pop when you depress ( or release? ) the clutch pedal? Sorry for all the Q&A but am trying to get a feel for what you are experiencing. Last question. Did you buy M5 at Herzog or Royal Moore? Used to work at Herzog for 9 years before moved to southern Oregon. Nice to see a fellow Oregonian on the forum.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:38 AM

Thanks for the hospitality Babyhuey!

Where do you live in southern Oregon? I grew up in Ashland and my parents and grandparents live in Medford now. I miss it down there even though it gets scorching hot during the summer.

As for the clutch, when I took it in the first time it was squeaking. My guess is that they tried to adjust it and couldn't fix it, so they ordered a part (master cylinder). After they tried to adjust it, the squeak turned into more of a popping sound upon depression. Then, after replacing the master cylinder, there is no noticeable difference in the sound. I can't seem to feel the pop as much as I hear it. Hope this helps. We live in Hillsboro, so we got the car at Royal Moore. One of the sales associates was a friend of our friend, so that made it nice too.

Take Care-- Jefferson

Old 08-22-2005, 03:55 AM

Moved a little further north than Medford into the Roseburg area. My wife and I fell in love with the beautiful hills and quiet of the area after a camping trip to crater lake. We moved from the busy city to a quiet 20 acre place in a remote canyon that is so quiet and peaceful that I can not think of moving back to the city life. My closest neighbor is 3/4 of a mile away and the only noise I hear right now is the sound of crickets. Night is so dark that you can not see your hand in front of your face and the stars are so numerous that you could not count them all in a lifetime. We have only received and sold 4 5's so far and have not had any problems with any to date. I will contact the national tech line and see if they have had any other noise issues with clutch pedal. Best I can tell you at this point is to take back to dealer and inform them that repairs made did not change the noise. A test drive with the technician or service writer might also be a good idea so you will be able to point out the noise and ensure that they are looking into the same direction. Might also post in the Mazda 5 portion of the forum and see any other new owners are experiencing any similar concerns.
Take care yourself Jefferson.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:12 PM

Babyhuey-

It sounds like a nice place to live. Solitude is priceless. I'll take the car back to the dealer for another check. Thanks- Jefferson

Old 08-28-2005, 11:43 AM

Where is this noise coming from...clutch pedal area or engine/transmission area?

Old 08-28-2005, 11:20 PM

Hi- It's coming from the clutch pedal area and not the transmission. Thanks for your help!

--Jeff

Old 08-29-2005, 07:50 AM

Hi Jefferson, Did you take back to dealer and get any results? I know the the best Master Tech at RM and he is great. Was in area recently and all at Herzog looked to be trainees. Stick to to RM and will see if can contact Tech at Royal Moore and see what he can tell me about what is going on.