General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help on alternator issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Default Need help on alternator issue

hey guys whats up, I have a 03 protege DX, havent done anything to it. its my basic get around car, daily driver. battery light came on while car was running, headlights and lights started dimming... drove the car home, got into my driveway turned it off. tried to start... dead. so im sure this is an alternator issue. but i dont wanna pay the flat rate 1 hour for some ******** to tell me what i already know and the 3 hours for install. I was wondering if anyone had a manual for an alternator replacement in .pdf and where i can find an alternator cheap that didnt fall off a truck... i'll take reman. whatever works, works... also if anyone has done this, can anyone tell me if im gettin in over my head here or if its just basic swap n start?

thanks for any input.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Default RE: Need help on alternator issue

Most replacement alternators sold are remanufactured and have a core charge. Have you lifted the hood and checked things? You might just have a slipping belt or loose battery terminals. Your car has a serpentine belt so now would be a great time to replace the belt along with the alternator. Also get a new fully charged battery. So yes, replace the alternator, belt, and battery, and you will start right up. There is a pry point on the alternator to apply tension to the belt, helps to have a long breaker bar for that job. Good luck:-)

Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Hey,
I have a Protege 5 and I'm trying to get tension on the belt around the alternator.
Can you help?
I have loosened the tension bold at the top, but that did not seem to do anything. Is there another bolt, like a pivot bolt, that I need to get at as well??