General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need advice on headgasket replacement

Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Default need advice on headgasket replacement

I am new to these forums, but not new to automotive or forums in general. alot of my experience is with other imports, mainly subarus. most of my personal engine rebuilding was with subaru motors of a wide range of years including newer, so I think I have what it takes to do this work. The vehicle in question is a 1995 626 with the 2.5L V6 and 105k+ on everything stock. I am not sure what has and hasn't been replaced.

My question is this: anything to be aware of? any reason why I can't just get a chilton/haynes and dig in? as far as I know, I have all the tools unless something special is needed. besides the head gaskets (duh, this is the culprit!) what else would you guys recommend? Is this car timing chain or belt? other replaceables like seals you guys suggest? might as well just get a rebuild kit eh? time duration (a week or two or more) is no real issue. it's not like it's the only driveable car and I need it by the end of a weekend. although major repairwork sometimes happens under those circumstances.

thanks in advance. if anybody has any subaru questions (new or old)... I would however be the guy to ask!

~jon

fwiw: this car was purchased by my grandfather from his daughter in law for $100 with the headgasket issue. coolant loss, water in oil. some minor dents and scratches... but for $100? sheesh!

Old 01-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Default RE: need advice on headgasket replacement

Im sure it is belt driven. I would replace all of the seals behind the timing belt and the water pump while I was in there. I cannot give you advice about doing it yourself, but I would make sure those items are done when changing the head out. Also check tensionersand other partsfor timing belt.

From what I understand a head job on that V6 is not exactly a simple job for the average oil/parts changer.