General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MX-3 Main Fuse keeps blowing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Default MX-3 Main Fuse keeps blowing.

First of all I haven't driven this car in a few months. It's a '92 Mazda MX-3GS. So I replaced my battery, it popped real good when I installed the 2nd terminal the first time. I went to start the car and nothing, no power at all. So I took off the battery terminals and hooked them back up, just to make sure I had a good connection, then there was no pop or spark or anything the 2nd time - still no power obviously. Checked the fuses under the dash and the blue "ENGINE" fuse was popped. I replaced it and it busted again. The other blue fuse on the outside of the fusebox was busted, so I replaced it, and then replaced the blue "ENGINE" fuse and they both held. Still no power. So I check the main fuse box and the "MAIN FUSE" is blown. I went to replace it and as SOON as i touched the connectors to it, it blew.

Does this sound like a short? Maybe a relay?

I am moving in a few days and I really need to get the car running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all very much.

-Mike

Old 07-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Default RE: MX-3 Main Fuse keeps blowing.

I don't want to offend you but are you sure you are connecting the cables to the battery properly.If you know you are then remove the radio fuse andthe dome light fuseif there is a light under the hood remove the bulb fromit.Now connect the + battery cable to the battery,disconnect the- cable.use a multimeter connect the negativecable from the meter to the battery and the positive cable from the meter to the - cable on the car.Now start disconnecting different connections until meter shows less than full battery volts I would start with the alternator then the starter if one of these are shorted you would have a major short.Most any other electrical devise on the car would have its own smaller fuse which would blow before blowing the main fuse.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Default RE: MX-3 Main Fuse keeps blowing.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the battery is in right, I checked 3 times. I did realize though that I had a power cable running from my battery terminal to my trunk, where I used to have subs. The end was just sitting on the carpet, but could that have caused a short? The carpet looked a bit charred where the end of the cable was. I disconnected the cable from my battery terminal but I wont be able to get another Main Fuse until tomorrow.