General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda Protege-Wont pass NOx emissions-Any help for a newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Default Mazda Protege-Wont pass NOx emissions-Any help for a newbie?

Sweet place. Glad I found this forum. This is my first Mazda and seems to be a pretty good car over all. It fails the NOx emissions test however so I cant get it registered. A local mechanic told me the EGR vale was probably plugged up but saiid it would be 3-500 to repair it which is more than I can afford. Any help or info would be appreciated! How do I make this car pass??? The allowance on the NOx is 2.50. Mine is putting out 2.59. It passes the HC and CO with ease. Also states catalytic converter passes, oxygen sensor passes, everything else good except NOx.

Plese help! This is my only car and if I get pulled over with expired registration they will tow it. It will put us on the street with no way to pay rent or get to work! Please help!

Old 08-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Default RE: Mazda Protege-Wont pass NOx emissions-Any help for a newbie?

Man....that's a pretty close reading. I'm not exactly sure how accurate those tests are. You may be able to just retest and pass (.09 is only 5.4% off.) Not sure if it costs you anything to get it tested, but you may want to give that a try.

Or replacethe EGR Valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve)yourself for less than $50....here's what a quick ebay search drummed up. It will be located on your exhaust and would route exhaust gasses back up into the intake.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw..._mdoZQQ_sopZ12

Are you tripping any codes? I believe P0400 is a faulty EGR valve (Check Engine Light would be on.)

Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Default RE: Mazda Protege-Wont pass NOx emissions-Any help for a newbie?

Thanks for the reply and info!

No, its not tripping any codes and no CHECK ENGINE light on. I will take it to Autozone today and see what their plug in tester says.

I did put some high octane gas and some engine cleaner for high mileage vehicles and drove it to clean it out, but when I took the car back for retest, it was a slightly worse reading than the first time... You get 1 free retest, which I used yesterday, so I have to pay next time.

All the local parts stores carry the EGR valve but it is about $120. Cheapest Ive found is $106 way across town and I dont want to be driving the car that far with expired registration. If they pull me over, they will tow it.

Thanks for the reply,

BR