General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mazda 3 Protocol?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:45 PM
Default Mazda 3 Protocol?

Just picked up a 2010 Mazda 3 sport 2.5 with 105k miles on it. I'm not sure on the maintenance, but just to be safe, I am thinking of doing some routine maintenance. Looking for advice on thought of a transmission flush/or empty and fill, and thoughts on changing out any belts?

Thanks for advice.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Transmission flush is more thorough than a drain & refill.

Engine has a timing chain rather than a timing belt. It should never need changing.

A visual inspection of the drive belt will show up any cracks or damage.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:53 AM

The problem is, transmission flush machines are very hard on transmissions and virtually every manufacturer on the planet strongly recommends against using them. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, a drain and refill is always preferable.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:07 PM

You say that, but at the same time you go to any dealership and they will not even offer drain and fills, machine flush services only. Some how I doubt automakers would let all their dealerships use flush machines if they were so bad.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:09 PM

Check your manual; it most likely states NOT to flush the transmission. The only reason why dealerships (which are franchises and not part of the company which builds the cars they sell) recommend flushes is because they are huge profit centers.

Long story short, flushes are a scam. If you don't believe me, call the manufacturer of your car and ask.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Flushes are not a scam, when used appropriately, & when actually required.
I've seen the positive results of flushes multiple times. In fact, I've never seen a trans flush go bad or cause damage.

And yes I am the Mazda Mechanic working for the Manufacturer.