General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

loss of power at low rpm

Old 06-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Default loss of power at low rpm

hi i have a problem with an 08 mazda 6 diesel, to put it simply the car has no power when off boost. when it gets above 2000 rpm it seems fine but below that it has no torque whatsover and can also be hesitant and jumpy at low revs also, any advice would be greatly appreciated. i should add that the car shows no fault codes and has been to mazda who suggest it needs a new turbo at a cost of 3500euro but when on boost the car is fine

Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 AM

I've also got exactly the same problem with my 2.2d 185hp diesel. Serious lack of power below about 2-2,500 revs, then picks up just as well as it always has and flies.

Over the last 6 months it did this perhaps 2 or 3 times which lasted for a couple of minutes before going back to normal. Yesterday it stayed that way.

I've checked for fault codes and similar to you nothing registered.

Thinking it felt like a stuck wastegate I checked the actuator (or what I think was the actuator!) from underneath the car. It's spring loaded but it moves, there is also a three wire sensor monitoring its position - it appears to be working too. Suffice to say no difference with any of that.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:52 PM

hi there sorry about late reply havn't been checking my emails. after going through every component on the car i found the problem was a sticking boost solenoid bolted on beside the vacuum pump. 20euro in a breakers yard and problem sorted and thats after the car being in 2 mazda garages before coming to me. you probably are sorted by now but if not a bet its the same thing.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Default Solved!

Actually my problem was slightly different, see photo! A fly, or is that a spider, decided to make itself at home on top of the wires in the air flow sensor!! After hoking it out and giving the thing a good blow I was back to normal. It was odd that the diagnostics didn't point to it but I guess it wasn't a short or open circuit so probably not far enough out of range to throw a code, but far enough to mess with the engine's performance.

Like you, before I found that I was messing around with guide blade actuators and solenoids - I actually drove the car with a vacumn gauge teed in but this suggested everything down there was fine and I could physically see the thing moving when I was under the car.

Glad you got it sorted, hope this thread helps someone else out!

Attached Thumbnails loss of power at low rpm-dsc_0026_nef.jpg