General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Head lights work...truck doesn't start...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Default RE: Head lights work...truck doesn't start...

It's amazing how fast a story can change when armed with that kind of evidence, computers don't lie! [sm=bustedsign.gif]I've had quite a few of those too, except on Chevys. Had a 99 Malibu with popped air bags, and of course the young teen age son was driving. He had claimed the air bags went off and caused him to hit a curb in a panic afterwards. Knowing a claim of this magnitude would stir up the top brass at GM, the car sat for about 2 weeks. During this idle time, the family hired one of the big shot local lawyers, all kinds of "medical problems" would arise, and planning for a LARGE suit against GM. After the GM reps from up north showed up with their tools to extract data from the Air Bag Module that the techs can't see, there were some surprizes. The son and father were there to witness this process to their dismay, as there is certain info available to the big guys and their equipment. It captured all info at least 30 seconds before impact, trying to remember for sure how long. But it even recorded ABS activation, VSS, which sensor tripped, even down to volume on the radio and station he was listening to. Come to find out that he hit the curb hard enough to deploy air bags, in that order. You know the kid was in major trouble, the lawyers disappeared, as witha big lawsuit, and the kid wasn't hurt so bad anymore. All in all it turned into a normal body shop repair.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:57 PM
roo
Default RE: Head lights work...truck doesn't start...

I have something similar happening where I work. There's this 17yo kid who's gotten everything handed to him. He was street racing when the tranny broke (after 6K in engine and suspension mods). He decided to take it back to stock to try to get the warranty coverage to cover the cost.

Too bad I kept all the logs of his posts. His warranty claim has been DENIED. Not to worry, because he's dumped the car off on mommy, and now he's moved on to an 11 second RX-7.