General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gas cap stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:51 PM

We just got back from having the gas cap replaced on our 2009 Mazda5. I recalled reading about this potential problem on the internet forums prior to buying the car in October, and as a result I've been careful about not forcing the cap and making sure it was seated as well as I could before turning. We went to get gas today and my husband can't get it off. I tried it as well and it wouldn't come off. We called the dealer and they said they would take a pair of pliers to it and break it off. So we drove up there and, naturally, when they looked at it, it opened on the first try. Don't know if something loosened from driving or whatever. But they decided to take it off and replace it. Like someone else posted, they replaced our "3 sided" thread cap for the one with the rectangle, and it was done under warranty. Hopefully we won't continue to have problems with it.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Default This very morning

This morning my wife was going to gas up her 3 month old Mazda3 and the same thing happened to her. A tech from the dealership came out to the gas station and used a giant wrench to basically rip the gas cap out. He said it was misthreaded and to put the cap on right it needs to be inserted about an inch parallel to the hole and then twisted and a lot of people are in a hurry and try twisting from the start making mush of the plastic threads. This was evident due to the fact that the threads on my cap were severely deformed. What a terrible design.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 09Mzda3GT
This morning my wife was going to gas up her 3 month old Mazda3 and the same thing happened to her. A tech from the dealership came out to the gas station and used a giant wrench to basically rip the gas cap out. He said it was misthreaded and to put the cap on right it needs to be inserted about an inch parallel to the hole and then twisted and a lot of people are in a hurry and try twisting from the start making mush of the plastic threads. This was evident due to the fact that the threads on my cap were severely deformed. What a terrible design.
I'm thinking that this is the first report of a bad gas cap for a 2009 Mazda3. Yes, no?

On the off chance that the 2009s are susceptible to this problem as well, I've made sure that every time I put the cap on, I make sure that the cap goes on straight and contacts the outer lip of the filler neck all of the way around before I start twisting. So far at least, no issues.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 PM

Unfortunately, the gas cap problem is now occurring on the 2009 models. We just bought a Mazda 5 touring edition and my wife pulled into the gas station for the vehicle's first fill up and was unable to get the gas cap off. She even had someone else try and he said he has never seen this kind of problem, especially with a new vehicle. So we called Mazda and the dealer said to bring the car in and they would replace the cap. (Sounded like they already were aware of this problem!) So again, today, my wife pulled into the gas station to fill up and the same thing happened! This is absolutely ridiculous! So now my wife needs to bring this problem back to the dealership tomorrow before she takes her road trip. This vehice does not even have 500 miles on it! This is the first time we have bought a Mazda and if this issue is not resolved, it will be the last! Of course our family members across the country will here about this also. Not threatening, just stating a fact. Hopefully though, this will be the last trip to Mazda with this issue.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Red face Mazda5 Gas Cap Drama

Thanks to you guys I found out what to do when the gas cap on my new Mazda5 locked up on me. I've had it for 2 months and had trouble getting the cap off once, didn't think too much about it, then wham, I'm on vacation and far from home but fortunately still had the ability to get to a dealer the next day. The service manager bent over back words being nice to help me, explain and show me the new cap... I certainly hope I don't have any more problems, and yes, the dealer that sold it to me is going to hear about it. I had a Mazda 626 20+ years ago and just loved it. After 2 kids and 4 Dodge Caravans I am so THRILLED to be back in a Mazda. She drives like a dream!!

Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Unhappy 2009 mazda 5 gas cap stuck

Same deal. 2009 Mazda 5. Gas cap stuck. It broke while I was trying to take it off. It seems to be threaded wrong, which you can't really notice prior to breaking it. I can't get the inner plug out -- it's on very tight. Even with plumber's pliers, etc., won't remove it. It occurred at the start of a weekend...I'm out of gas and the dealer is closed.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by ewolfram
Same deal. 2009 Mazda 5. Gas cap stuck. It broke while I was trying to take it off. It seems to be threaded wrong, which you can't really notice prior to breaking it. I can't get the inner plug out -- it's on very tight. Even with plumber's pliers, etc., won't remove it. It occurred at the start of a weekend...I'm out of gas and the dealer is closed.

Sorry to hear that. The only way you will be able to get it out is to use some muscle. I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself because if you break something else, repairing it is on you. I had a tech from the dealership come to me to remove my jammed gas cap. That way if he damaged anything in the process it would be the dealerships responsibility.

Good Luck.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:42 PM

I've had this problem a lot. Pretty frustrating. I think the design of it makes it prone to being screwed in at the wrong angle. Then once it's misthread like that, it's really difficult to get out. The last time I did it, it broke. I had to ask the gas station to borrow some plyers to remove it. I just made an appointment to bring the car in. They're going to give me an estimate of what it'll cost for a new cap but they also said they're going to charge me $65 to replace it! That's because if something is wrong with your gas cap, the engine light will go on. I'm going to pass on paying $65 to have them turn my engine line off. They said it'll likely go off after a couple weeks after fixing the issue.

However, after reading this forum, I'm now inclined to ask that Mazda pay for the replacement gas cap.