General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gas cap stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Default Gas cap stuck!

hey guys

so my first fill up after buying my new mazda3, the gas cap was pretty tight loosening. i figured new car no biggie. after i got gas i tightened it to 1 click and went my way

now tonight needing my second tank, the cap is absolutely tight. i cant get it off! whats going on? this ever happend to anyone else?

Old 04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Gas cap stuck!

That's a new one.
No, can't say I've ever really had that problem, and I tighten mine more than that... usually three-four clicks to make sure it's tight and to avoid "loose gas cap" CEL's.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 PM

When I first got mine from Mazda the guy who put the gas cap on somehow put it on wrong, and I ended up breaking mine...

Which I still think is funny, but luckily it was Warrented and they replaced it no problem.

I think that it has to do with whether you threaded it straight on or not, which doesn't seem possible to me, but I think that's what happened to mine, like it was angled into the hole rather than straight, I would try wiggling it up and down, i.e. perpendicular to your car, and see if that helps at all.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:18 AM

well personaly i would just take a elbow box wrench, about......6mm to 8mm and use it for leverage, some new plastics expand and contract so either it did that and got suck, or its threaded wrong and is stuck, but some extra leverage should be able to rotate it out :-)

Old 08-29-2008, 01:05 PM

I have a 2008 mazda 3 and i am having problems with the gas cap being stuck about four times now. The tech said im putting it in wrong but when i went back the fourth time i made the manager try to get it off and he couldnt so he went and got a tool to take it off and it wasnt in wrong he was saying maybe the neck or the pressure in the tank. Anyone else having this problem?? I reported it to mazda and they said no is complaining. So if anyone has complaints you should call mazda for they take action.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:27 PM

I got a mazda 5 in June, the gas cap just started sticking and broke today when we tried to unscrew it!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

What's going on w/these '08's??

Old 09-08-2008, 05:38 PM

My wife complained that her gas cap would not come off. It just made the ratcheting sound but would not come loose. The black part of the cap broke off revealing the white part (the part that seals) stuck at about a ten degree angle. I had to use large channel lock pliers to twist it out. The white nylon looking piece does not have threads, it has two raised "ears" or protrusions which act as threads to provide approximately 1/4 turn to seal the cap. One of these was damaged.

A new cap cost 49.95 at the dealer. The parts guy's computer said (2) on back order. He told me to give him the vin number and he would order one .Then he said usually it needs to be prepaid before ordering but that he would go ahead and order mine because (I assume), he thought it was weird that there two were on back order for such a new car.

mike

Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 PM

This happened to me this evening. I've had my 2008 Mazda 3 for about 3 months.The gas cap hasbeen stuck before but it's come off with some muscle. Tonight I pulled into the gas station and couldn't get it off. Had to drive back to my house for my fiance to take a turn. He even broke out the pliers but couldn't get it off either. I ended up having to call Mazda roadside assistance to havemy cartowed to a local dealership (the gas was so low Icouldn't risk driving it in). Roadside assistance couldn't tell me if a rental car would be covered. I have a business trip scheduled for tomorrow. Has anyone run into this? Do you know if the fix is covered under warrenty? How about rental car? Has anyone contacted Mazda on this issue. It seems to be happening all too often to be a fluke.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:31 AM

the most likely reason the gas cap os sticking is the tank is forming a vaccuum when the fuel gets low.. i would try a cheap new gas cap.. although soon there should be a recall on those.. i believe its the vents in the gas cap that are not working properly.. i dunno though its just a thought...

Quick Reply: Gas cap stuck!