General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

FL22 coolant substitute, use Ford

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 07:26 PM
Default FL22 coolant substitute, use Ford

I finally flushed the system out of my Mazda 5. It involved draining from the lower radiator valve about a gallon at the time and refilling with a gallon of distilled water and diluting what’s left and running the engine to temp with the heater on. After doing this 4 times it’s pretty much just water.

Called Mazda and they only have premixed FL22. Since the system capacity is about 2 gallons and I could only get one gallon out I wanted a concerted. Seems the google part number for Mazda concentrated long life is discontinued, unavailable or simply not FL22. I gave up on it.

After some cross referencing and more google, looks like Ford offers a concentrated that is equivalent. It’s readily available for $30usd/gal. The guy at the Ford parts counter used to work at Mazda and said I’d be fine. I know many use the blue Asian car stuff but that’s premixed too.

I managed to fill just about the entire gallon in the radiator and about half a cup in the tank. When it’s all said and done I should be running a 50/50 mix.

I thought I’d share since the question was asked before but Ford part was never mentioned. Either I’m on to something or I just screwed up? 🤣😳😩

Old 03-15-2020, 10:46 PM

To use FORD as a substitute coolant I suggest to look at the container see who it is distributed by and contact them before I would commit to recommending it.
But I am pretty sure it is the same as one of the Peak coolants as well Zerex which is what I use?

If there is any notation for service regarding the exact word "REQUIRED" then you must use exactly the coolant necessary. If not ,which most of the time it is only the SAE numbers or recommendation then I am more then sure there are *retail brand name regarding coolants compatible with mixing or substituent most all factory coolants?
I think most will find that vehicle manufactures do not have a use only (required) for many items on any platform that is on the world wide market.

*I suggest to contact other brand named coolant suppliers Technical Department and talk to them about coolant compatibility questions and concerns.

One place to call..
Peak
(800) 323-5440
USA
(847) 559-2000
International

Last edited by Callisto; 03-15-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

Ford FL22 is the same formula as Mazda FL22, its exactly the same product. Both products require a 100% product, ie no dilution or mixing with water.

There is no such thing as premixed FL22. It is what it is, and is used straight from the bottle into the cooling system.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:30 AM

Grim,

I spent way too much time on this. Ford VC-10-A2 has to be diluted, Mazda clearly has "do not add water". Maybe you're referring to a different product.

Although the exact concentration might be off a little, since it's impossible to get every ounce of liquid out or the engine. Adding a full gallon of the concentrated into a 2 gallon system should get you pretty close. At lest closer than someone who refills with a gallon of premix. If I do my math right that would get a diluted ration of 25/75.

By the way, I don't claim the Ford coolant is FL22. Although I can't confirm it in anyway Mazda FL22 designation is only for premix product Even the non-existent Mazda long life coolant isn't FL22. The only thing the nice young lady could tell me over the phone is that if the filler cap had the FL22 designation then Mazda only recommends Mazda FL22. Swapping the cap with one with no sticker won't fix the problem, I asked. :-)

DB

Last edited by dbelcourt; 03-16-2020 at 07:39 AM.