General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

EGR valve trouble 2000 protege

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Default EGR valve trouble 2000 protege

hey guys, i'm new here and thought maybe someone could give me some pointers.

i have a 2000 protege (99,834 mi) with a check engine light "P0402 excessive EGR flow" or something like that according to the autozone guy. the part is $274.99. i'd like to fix this without spending much. if i have to spend 275, then i will but the guy at the store said something interesting... he said to take the part off and clean the inside with carb cleaner. if that doesn't work, then buy the part. any validity to that?

i've read a little on the forum and it seems as if this might be somewhat of a common problem. idon't have a ton of skills. i can change oil, brake pads and what not but i pretty much just gas and go. any special tricks to getting the part off? thanks so much for any replies.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Default RE: EGR valve trouble 2000 protege

I read a report about that. Seems it's a common problem on Proteges. I have a '99 with the same symptoms. P0402. They say it's actually a reduced flow rather than excessive. Here's how I fixed it. Take the EGR valve off, it's 2 bolts on the back of the manifold. 14MM, I believe. Anyway, with the valve off, feel around in there with a Q-tip and clear the hole that passes into the intake chamber. Then get some throttle-body cleaner and clean up the inside of the EGR valve. The plunger has a little shoulder on it that you can use to open and close the valve with a flat screwdriver to make sure it's not stuck. Do this carefully, so as not to damage the valve. Also, there's a hose connected to a small fitting next to where the valve goes. Take this hose off and make sure its clear. The hose runs to a sensor over on the right side of the engine. Remove both ends of the hose and blow through it to make sure it's open. I found gunk in the fitting so that nothing could get thru. This is where your code is coming from, this sensor. Now put the valve back on. You can re-use the metal gasket. Clear the codes with the scanner at Autozone and you should be good to go for awhile. It will happen again in a year or two. Usually when you are on the freeway and suddenly let off the gas. When you clear the codes, drive it a few days before you take it in for the inspection. Otherwise, it won't pass.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Default RE: EGR valve trouble 2000 protege

Tocapet, great description. Thanks a lot. I would add it is a good idea to remove a valve/coil from assembly (2 bolts as I remember) and use #600-1200 sandpaper to clean a plunger. Becouse valve/coil is out of assembly it is easy to push/pull a plunger to check how clean it is.