General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2011 cx9 gas sloshing noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Default 2011 cx9 gas sloshing noise

Just bought a 2011 cx9 touring about 3 weeks ago and just noticed we can hear the gas sloshing in the gas tank when we stop. Is this normal? Was wondering if anyone else has this problem and what, if anything, can we do about it besides turning up the radio. Thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 12:10 PM

I hear this in my 3 for the first ~30 miles after filling up, but it sounds like a thunk when I come to a stop. Could be a common mazda thing, it shouldn't cause any problems, but you can definitely complain to the dealer - the feedback may get logged as a customer complaint and get fixed in the future.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Default Sloshing annoying...

Hello there, I am the proud owner of a 2011 Mazda 6. I too have the sloshing noise when stopping. or slowing. When I took it in to my dealer, they told me to deal with it and turn up the radio... which doesn't sound that great either. Most of the stations are always fuzzy. If you happen to figure out a solution from either problem, please let me know!

thx

NG08

Old 12-10-2021, 02:34 PM

I own a 2020 Mazda CX-9 AWD GT and I noticed the sloshing sound today coming from the back when breaking. I though there was some large water bottles in the back at first....It seems like a Mazda specific problem not only the 6 but the CX-9 and it has been going on for decades...maybe only specific cars are affected? Maybe they forgot to install some sound insulation panels? I googled it and this is the only match I found so far.
My tank is about 3/4 way full.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:11 PM

Hearing fuel "sloshing" in the fuel tank is not just a model MAZDA but has been going on since at least the 1950's. How much you hear depends of so many factors I could spend all day thinking about it and putting examples. The best way to stop the noise is to add some insulation material in the interior to the rear area that sits on top of the fuel tank. The more labor-intensive cure is to remove the fuel tank and spray undercoating and then add something like FAT MAT. You will then achieve silence, at least from hearing the fuel. You could also form a habit to read the fuel gauge differently... what I mean is fill the tank and get into the habit or reading the fuel gauge 1/2 as empty. Then fill your tank again. This will likely reduce or even illuminate most all the fuel sloshing around and is better for the fuel system anyway. Not to mention you will never be caught without less than a 1/2 tank of fuel.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:42 PM

Thank you for the response. I drove many different cars over the past 30 years and this was my first experience hearing the fuel moving around in the tank. I found it very unusual for a "new" higher end car, so I thought maybe this specific vehicle is defective, but it seems like it is a nuance and you either accept it and live with it or invest time and money to try to make it better. I am ok to live with it, as long as it is not dangerous, e.g. like the fuel tank walls are dangerously thin, etc.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by bogacs
Thank you for the response. I drove many different cars over the past 30 years and this was my first experience hearing the fuel moving around in the tank. I found it very unusual for a "new" higher end car, so I thought maybe this specific vehicle is defective, but it seems like it is a nuance and you either accept it and live with it or invest time and money to try to make it better. I am ok to live with it, as long as it is not dangerous, e.g. like the fuel tank walls are dangerously thin, etc.
BMW/MINI Coopers are far better quality then almost all MAZDAs and all the hardtops you can hear the fuel slushing around.
Your compliant is not uncommon and I would guess in the shop we get at least a baker's dozen a year that suddenly hear the fuel slushing in most every vehicle you can think of thinking something is wrong. LOL
I use to hear it in my 2018 Mazda.... but not anymore... rolmao!