General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 323 Protege Stalling/Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 03:09 AM
Default 2000 323 Protege Stalling/Starting Problem

Hi guys,

I have an Australian 2000 manual 323 protege. Over the past year this has happened twice, 6 months apart but has now started happening 3 times in the last few days. You will be driving and out of no where engine dies and oil light on. All fluids are at full/appropriate levels and temp gauge never goes past exactly half way. Seems to occur on hot days, but today when it happened trying to start the car again it just cranks and cranks and sounds like it is almost starting. The first time I got it going again it was very spluttery and almost popping from the exhaust and the Revs would not stay steady, if I took foot of acel it just died (I'm thinking may have flooded the engine) left it for 5 mins and starts again, then twice seperated by about 10-15 mins of driving would die again, and do the same cranking and not starting, then eventually start on the 3-4th try, but without any of the spluttery, poppy and unsteady revs.. any ideas? Is our only vehicle and I'm starting to worry it's gonna be a reoccuring issues, we have another very hot day forcast for tomorrow also.. sorry for the essay!

Old 10-20-2019, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by pqkiller
Hi guys,

I have an Australian 2000 manual 323 protege. Over the past year this has happened twice, 6 months apart but has now started happening 3 times in the last few days. You will be driving and out of no where engine dies and oil light on. All fluids are at full/appropriate levels and temp gauge never goes past exactly half way. Seems to occur on hot days, but today when it happened trying to start the car again it just cranks and cranks and sounds like it is almost starting. The first time I got it going again it was very spluttery and almost popping from the exhaust and the Revs would not stay steady, if I took foot of acel it just died (I'm thinking may have flooded the engine) left it for 5 mins and starts again, then twice seperated by about 10-15 mins of driving would die again, and do the same cranking and not starting, then eventually start on the 3-4th try, but without any of the spluttery, poppy and unsteady revs.. any ideas? Ryan Harvey reviews automotive battery maintainer at Autofthings,. if you concern, you can visit this site for more needed info. Is our only vehicle and I'm starting to worry it's gonna be a reoccuring issues, we have another very hot day forcast for tomorrow also.. sorry for the essay!
Check the cam sensor if there is issue with it and replace if necessary. Good luck

Old 10-24-2019, 05:13 AM

Thanks heaps for the reply, from what I've read that seems like that's gonna be the culprit. I have a part on the way, but before changing is there anything in particular I should know? I'm guessing disconnect battery?

Thanks again