General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil filter 05 mazda3 2.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Default Oil filter 05 mazda3 2.3

Dealer wants $500 for 30,000 mile serrvice. Even the local lof shop wants 25 extra for synthetic oil, and 6 extra because it's a cannister filter. Time to start getting my hands dirty.

The owners manual says I need a special tool to change out the oil filter. I haven't crawled under the car yet. Is one really necessary. If yes, who carries it?
Also it looks like a PITA to remove the plastic under the engine. Must this come out to get to the rediator drain?
More also - I haven't been able to locate a Haynes manual for the Mazda3. Is one available?

Thanks, Tony

Old 02-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Default RE: Oil filter 05 mazda3 2.3

Ooops... looks like there is an issue with Mazda on this link. Sorry about that. I can't find any new links to an online manual.

Check out this link.Click on the list to the leftto look trough the manual. Hope it helps.

http://***********************manual/

Old 02-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: d4tonyd

Dealer wants $500 for 30,000 mile service. Even the local lof shop wants 25 extra for synthetic oil, and 6 extra because it's a canister filter. Time to start getting my hands dirty.

The owners manual says I need a special tool to change out the oil filter. I haven't crawled under the car yet. Is one really necessary. If yes, who carries it?
Also it looks like a PITA to remove the plastic under the engine. Must this come out to get to the radiator drain?
More also - I haven't been able to locate a Haynes manual for the Mazda3. Is one available?

Thanks, Tony
Hey Tony,
I use a "soft" strap wrench to remove the canister, but the proper tool is recommended and can be had for around $6.
Remove the splash shield for the first time. I ain't that bad, but as you stated is a PITA.Here's what you do. Get out your favorite 4" hole saw, tin snips, hack saw, what ever it takes and cut a hole just big enough to clear any tools needed around the oil filter. Remember please to use Anti-Seize on all those little stupid bolts you put back in. If you don't, they will rust and separate the captured nut from it's clip the next time you try to remove them. They are only a cheap pressed together set up. Take it from me, I KNOW, if you get my drift?

OE filters are available in bulk (qty of 3-20 ea.) from various sellers on eBay.I bought 4 for <$20 shippedand expect them to last a while, +/- 20K miles.
Or you can convert to the 2.0L spin-on filter for <$40. http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2869

Med Center Mazda, who's also a sponsor of this site, has some really good $$$ on maintenance items as well as other accessories for you 3 series. Check out this link: http://www.mazdaparts.org/20071.html

Old 02-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Prior oil change was by a LOF shop. I did not notice a gasket when I removed the cover, although it's possible I tossed it. I had no leaks. The cover was very tight. I used an extension on the strap wrench to undo it.

Is it possible that they tightened the cover sufficiently to prevent leakage without a gasket?

In attempting to instal the new canister, I squished two gaskets, and wasted 2 qts of synthetic. I wonder if this was my carelessness, or if the LOF guy tightened the cover so much that it deformed the mating surface.

Out of frustration, I mail ordered a spin-on convesion kit. Local Mazda parts guy says it could void warranty. I'll take my chances rather than dealing with the mess if a canister.

Tony

Old 02-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

It's not a gasket, but am o-ring mounted around the outside of the canister itself. They need to be oiled, just like with a spin-on style filter.
It's possible, I suppose, that the LOF shop did some damage.I have heard of the canister housing being cracked by incorrect installation/removal.
The canister should not require that much tightening given it's design and side-mounted o-ring in order to seal properly. I usually just tighten it by hand and when it gets too tight for that give it a little twist (+/-1/8 turn)w/the strap wrench. That is probably more than it needs too, really.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:49 AM

Why would it void warranty?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mazda, or one of it's dealers, could get picky aboutthat, especially if self-installed, and a problem develops because of it. (i.e. like a blown engine that's run out of oil due to a leak in the adapter or filter.) It's a long shot, but it could happen... if they wanted to be dicks about it.