General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'02 protege 5

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Default '02 protege 5

I have an '02 protege 5, and I when I take it above about 3500 rpm, I hear a high pitched whistle. I've been thinking it's my air intake, but I don't think that should be so loud. . .

If this is a dumb (he doesn't know jack about cars) problem, sorry, but I'd appreciate ideas.

sidenote : my airconditioning belt occasionally screeches, is this related?

Old 10-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Default RE: '02 protege 5

your AC belt could probly just use a little oil. as for the intake, if its cold air intake thats normal. i have an 'Injen' CAI on mine and it wistles so loud ppl have asked me if its boosted. some systems are supposed to sound that way. or you could have an air leak somewhere along the way. hope that helps.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Default RE: '02 protege 5

Check for any cracks or holes that would cause leaks on the air intake hose, that runs from your air cleaner box to your throttle body. It's a common problem and is generally in-expensive and easy to fix.Part # is FP47-13-220A.
If your ac belt is squealing, have a shop take a look and make sure it's not loose. The Protege's are finicky with belts that are anything less than ubertight. Aftermarket belts are occasionally the problem too.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 PM

this is what i would like to know guys can you provide me more stuff.