Electronics, Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

How to get hot air fast on AC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Default How to get hot air fast on AC?

HI
I have new mazda 3 gt and i'n not happy with the ac.
On cold day it's take the car 3-5min to get hot air tru the fans.
I was sure the new cars don't need to wait for the angain to get worm so i can get hot air on the ac.
How that system work? and how come that on 2010 i still need to frizzzz when i'm in the car?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by kibub
HI
I have new mazda 3 gt and i'n not happy with the ac.
On cold day it's take the car 3-5min to get hot air tru the fans.
I was sure the new cars don't need to wait for the angain to get worm so i can get hot air on the ac.
How that system work? and how come that on 2010 i still need to frizzzz when i'm in the car?
Like virtually all cars on the road these days, cabin heat is drawn from a hot coolant heat exchanger located in the dash. That said, until the engine warms the coolant up, the system will simply blow cold air.

By the way, welcome to the site.

Where are you from? I ask because English is obviously not your first language.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Yes i leave in canada but i just come few month ago from israel.
Thanks for your help i think the manufacture shuld do some thing about that because if i can get seat heated in few second so i shuld get hot air from the AC

Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 PM

Yes i leave in canada but i just come few month ago from israel.
Thanks for your help i think the manufacture shuld do some thing about that because if i can get seat heated in few second so i shuld get hot air from the AC
The thing is, heat doesn't come from the A/C circuit of the heating and cooling system (unless you run the A/C compressor in reverse) or from the electrical system (which is how the heated seats operate), it comes from the "free" latent heat scavenged from the engine.

Said another way, using either the A/C system or the electrical system to heat the interior of the car would create a significant drop in fuel economy.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 PM

As Shipo said, heated seats use an electic heater. The hot air in the cabin relies on the engine heat, as is the case with every car that I have ever heard of.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 AM

Is it 2010? I can get heater with cigaret ligther conection for 10$ in canada tire.
So what is the problem to make electronic coil with blower just for the first minutes untill the angain get worm?:

Last edited by kibub; 01-12-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Is it 2010? I can get heater with cigaret ligther conection for 10$ in canada tire.
So what is the problem to make electronic coil with blower just for the first minutes untill the angain get worm?:
For the heater to be if a sufficient capacity to effectively heat the interior of the car, it would cause enough of a draw to possibly overwhelm the electrical system.

What I don't understand is why this is an issue for you. Start your car, drive it and use the regular heat. Even on the coldest of days you should have significant heat from the engine within a few minutes.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:49 PM

That few minutes is my problem .
When i'm getting in the car it's -10c insid and the 3-5min frezzing me

Old 01-13-2010, 05:10 AM

That few minutes is my problem .
When i'm getting in the car it's -10c insid and the 3-5min frezzing me
Ahhh, well, all I can say is that you'll get used to it. I used to live in a warmer climate and moved north because I couldn't take the summer heat. The first year or so was difficult, however, I'm now to the point where I won't even bother putting on my jacket when I get into my cold car unless the temperature is 0°F (i.e. -18°C). Hang in there, it'll get better.