Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Paint correction & ceramic

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 03:45 PM
Default Paint correction & ceramic

Hey all, got my 2019 CX-5 this month and it was in pretty good shape but the paint needed attention. I did...
  1. Wash & dry
  2. Clay (I use a reusable one now, love it)
  3. Meguiars M105 w/orange pad on my Harbor Freight DA polisher in areas that had substantial swirl marks.
  4. Meguiars M205 w/white pad on whole car.
  5. Isopropyl alcohol wipe
  6. AvalonKing Armor Coat IX
This was my first time doing ceramic and if it's half as good as people say, I'll be happy. It was a lot of work but I am pleased with the result.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:30 PM

It looks good, bro. Let us know how long the coating lasts

Old 08-15-2022, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ceramic Coated Mazda 6
It looks good, bro. Let us know how long the coating lasts
Still got some hydrophobic qualities after almost a year. I was hoping for a year plus, I think we're on track to hit that. This is an outside car so I'm pretty happy with it. Next time around I'm going to use CQuartz UK or possible switch to a lower effort quarterly spray like Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic or Griot's . Either way, this is by far the best protectant I've put on any car. I'm pleased.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by cbredesen
Still got some hydrophobic qualities after almost a year. I was hoping for a year plus, I think we're on track to hit that. This is an outside car so I'm pretty happy with it. Next time around I'm going to use CQuartz UK or possible switch to a lower effort quarterly spray like Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic or Griot's . Either way, this is by far the best protectant I've put on any car. I'm pleased.

Yoi should have it professionally coated so you dont have to go through this every year. By the way, hydrophobic properties are not necessarily an indication of a coating either being intact or having failed

Old 08-15-2022, 02:46 PM

Way too easy to DIY with good results if you are willing to pay attention and do it right. No plans to get this car or any other coated professionally. Hydrophobic qualities are a good enough proxy for a decent coating that I'm happy to use it - what do you suggest? Historically carnauba has given up after just a month or two and I've never seen polymer coatings go 6mo. This ceramic (my first DIY ceramic ever) was strong at 6mo and still looking good at 11mo. Bright shine after washing, easy dirt removal, etc. I've been radicalized

Old 08-15-2022, 02:50 PM

We are talking about a few different things. You are dealing with consumer grade coatings that usually only last a year. A pro coating will last 5 years or more. My coatings last 12 + years. Some consumer grade coatings will last longer than others. I would suggest optimum gloss coat as a consumer coating. Lasts about 3 years with lots of gloss. Why wouldn't you get it pro coated? I'm curious

Old 08-15-2022, 02:52 PM

We are talking about a few different things. You are dealing with consumer grade coatings that usually only last a year. A pro coating will last 5 years or more. My coatings last 12 + years. Some consumer grade coatings will last longer than others. I would suggest optimum gloss coat as a consumer coating. Lasts about 3 years with lots of gloss. Why wouldn't you get it pro coated? I'm curious
Because I enjoy doing this and prefer not to spend the money on it. Same reason anyone does things themselves

When I re-do this later this year I might build it up a bit more and do a top coat as well, we'll see how much effort I feel like putting into it. When I do the 911, it's gonna get 2 layers plus a top coat for sure. But that's a different beast - it lives in a garage.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:55 PM

My coatings last 12 + years.
I highly doubt this but would be pleasantly surprised to know if they really did. Problem is, most people's paint will need correction before that and you'd polish off the ceramic. How do you get around this?

Old 08-15-2022, 08:36 PM

I highly doubt this but would be pleasantly surprised to know if they really did. Problem is, most people's paint will need correction before that and you'd polish off the ceramic. How do you get around this?
You highly doubt a pro coating that lasts 12 years or longer? I don't understand what you mean about the paint correction. The paint would be polished and then coating installed. Why would I polish it after it's coated?

Old 08-15-2022, 08:38 PM

Because I enjoy doing this and prefer not to spend the money on it. Same reason anyone does things themselves

When I re-do this later this year I might build it up a bit more and do a top coat as well, we'll see how much effort I feel like putting into it. When I do the 911, it's gonna get 2 layers plus a top coat for sure. But that's a different beast - it lives in a garage.
I can understand that but over the course of 5 to 10 years you will have.more than paid for a pro coating with everything you are spending on polishers, products, time, toppers, rinse and repeat

Quick Reply: Paint correction & ceramic