Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

No sound from 2003 Prot 5 radio/CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Default No sound from 2003 Prot 5 radio/CD changer

My sister-in-law has a 2003 Protege 5 with a nice indash original Radio/CD changer. According to her, it worked well until a few weeks ago when she was feeling good and "cranked it up" for a Doobies song. While at full volume, it went quite - not to be heard from again. I recently confirmed that the unit has power and by all appearances is working. According to the digital display, the tuner scans and finds the next station, CD's read and find the next song, etc.

I hear nothing from the speakers even when turning the unit on/off (no crackle - nothing). I'm assuming something in the output section of the amp burned out. Any thoughts on what is the problem and how (if) it can be fixed? She wondered if the speaker wires burned out but it seems unlikely that they all went at the same time.

She bought a battery powered boom box until she figures out wht to do next. If it isn't practical to repair, what type/size aftermarket unit might fit. In searching other posts, I see references to a "code" to reset OEM radios. Is there a chance it can be reset? Remember that it apears to work excep no sound.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Default RE: No sound from 2003 Prot 5 radio/CD changer

So.... heres what you could do to figure out if the head unit is shop.... go geta plug (like you are going to wire up a new cd player) and with a 9v batt. take the wires and with each color coded pair (white, white/black)( grey,grey/black),( green, green/black),( purple, purple/black) place the solid wire on the + side of batt and the color/black on the - side of the batt. if the spreakers are working you will hear a *POPPING noise*

** note 1 pair of colored wires at a time**

if you do this and you DO NOT HEAR ANYTHING the speakers are blown and need to be replaced.

and there is a chance that you may have a blown interanl amp on the radio. the only cheap fix to that is to look at a new radio (aftermarket) or look on ebay for another replacement, or your local junkyard.

hope this helps