Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

2003 Tribute Reconnect Factry Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Default 2003 Tribute Reconnect Factry Stereo

My daughter’s aftermarket stereo was stolen, so I’m trying to reinstall the factory radio until I get something new. I forget how the old radio was cabled up. I connected the antenna cable and the cable harness that connects to the right (passenger) side, but the stereo doesn’t work. There is a another place on the left (driver) side of the stereo where a connector can be attached, but we could not find a cable to snap in that place. Are we missing a cable that must be attached there? The factory stereo has a radio, a cassette player, and a CD player.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:08 PM

I just pulled our factory radio to install an aftermarket unit. Did you cut the wires when installing the aftermarket unit or did it come with a wire harness that plugged into the OEM connectors? Did the thieves cut the wires to steel the aftermarket unit? I have a wire up sheet that came with my new unit, I could scan it in and attach it to this thread if it would help. Let me know.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:45 PM

I cut no wires on the aftermarket install: Crutchfield had a wiring harness. The dumb thieves left the harness. It's just that the factory radio has this other place to shove on another plug (not the hole for the antenna), and I don't know if 3 cables get connected to the back of the factory radio or just the two I can find (the antenna and the harness from Crutchfield).

How 'bout yours - did you have to disconnect two cables or three?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:16 AM

Here's a shot of the back of an 05 radio and the radio out of our 02. There are only two connections and both should be hooked up to the radio along with the antenna cable for it to work. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Tribute Reconnect Factry Stereo-05-mazda-trib-radio-back.jpg   2003 Tribute Reconnect Factry Stereo-02-mazda-trib-radio-back.jpg  
Old 06-24-2009, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the pics and explanation.

Yep, it's that recepticle, if you will, next to the antenna port that's got me confused. You ended the confusion by confirming that nothing goes there.

I'll take the old radio to the dealer to get it checked out - maybe it's been the culprit all along.

Mike