Mazda5 This new sport van from Mazda offers the interior size and usefulness of a minivan with the feel and spirit of a sport compact.

Mazda5 UK - Traction Control warning light advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Default Mazda5 UK - Traction Control warning light advice

I have a tracking control warning light perminently on on my Mazda 5 sport 2008. I have had the Mazda dealer look at it and they say I need a new ABS Unit which will cost over £2000, a quarter of the price I paid for the car.

I have taken it to 2 independant garages that both say their diagnostic machines pick up that there is not an ABS fault but a traction control fault but their machines do not give detail on Traction Control.

I know the 2 (ABS / Traction control) are somewhat linked so could it still be the ABS Unit? Also, I really want a second oppinion before I pay this amount of money but am I stuck with only Mazda Dealers themselves to be able to access the dull details on a diagnostic machine?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 PM

What links them are the wheel sensors. by comparing the wheel speed of all 4 wheels the computer can calculate if one starts spinning and the ABS controler activates the brake a little to keep that from happening.
I would:
inspect and clean all wheel speed sensors, check the wheel bearings for play, check the tire pressure and make sure all 4 are spot on, in my Windstar I need to recalibrate the tire pressure monitor system from time to time. So check your manual if that can be done in your car and if so, do it.
If all that fails turning off the warning light try disconnecting the battery negative, then stepping on the brake to drain all voltage from computer memories. After reconnectiong the battery the light should be out but the car may not feel quite right because the computer has to relearn some tricks.
If this fails as well we need input by some smarter brains.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Default Mazda 5 ABS unit replacement

Hi,
My 2008 Mazda 5 2.0D Sport had exactly the same problem and I had to replace the ABS unit. I was told it is an electrical contact in the centre of the ABS unit that overheats and eventually fails. Apparently it is a well known fault on various makes including VW. My Mazda dealer said Mazda would make some contribution to the cost but it would still cost well over £1000. Rather than pay so much I used a company based in London called Sinspeed who provide modified exchange units with a lifetime guarantee.The electrical contact has been relocated externally. As it is such a horrible location to work on I paid my dealer to carry out the work. Cost of the unit was about £250 and £120 labour. This was in April this year and I have had no problems since. I arranged to have the ABS unit sent direct to the garage and then sent back the old unit myself after the work was completed. Incidently if you still decide to get a new one my dealer did say these units have since been modified so hopefully you should not get the same fault again.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.