Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Mazda Tribute doesn't want to run

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:05 AM
Default Mazda Tribute doesn't want to run

Hi guys. First time here. I was hoping I could get some help as I've never encountered this problem. I have a 2002 Mazda Tribute that I lost my only key for about a week ago, I wasn't experiencing any problems with it prior to this. I went to Mazda, had them cut me a service key with no chip so I could put in neutral and move it around. Two days ago I had a locksmith come out and program me two keys. Worked fine til I got 30 minutes from house and stopped at bank. Turned off and came back out wouldn't start. It wasn't allowing me to move the gear selector into any gear either(that's weird part; figured it couldn't be starter for that reason). So I had it towed home.

I ended up killing the battery trying to figure it out. So I put a battery charger on. When I put the negative on I noticed the connector was bad. Replaced it with a new one. Car started right up. Told myself no way is it that simple; it's never simple or easy. Went for a quick drive. It died right when I parked and wouldn't allow me to put back into gear like before.

So what I know
New negative connector
New keys
- car light with key comes on but turns off when I try to turn key, don't believe this is issue

Starter is still good
Seems to be an issue before it
If you need any more information ask and I'll respond asap.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:08 AM

Also forgot to mention computer is not throwing any codes.