Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

HELP! Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Red face HELP! Please

Hi, Pulled 2 codes P0172 & P0430 today after rough idle and no throttle pick up when starting up for the 1 mile trip home.
This is the third time that my engine has done this.
Last week I had to use Super unleaded as premium had sold out,
also used some injector cleaner in the fuel system
I have changed the MAF Sensor and fixed a vacuum leak and now these codes are showing. Any Ideas Please

Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Hey Tuboturney: Would you mind to put your car's information in your signature?

P0171 is a lean condition in bank 1. If it is a 4 cylinder that's the only bank you have. usually it is caused by a vacuum leak.
P0430 lets you know that the catalytic converter is now below 95% efficiency. Maybe it is 94% or 92%, we don't know.
When the tank is about half full, fill in 4 l of Lacquer Thinner, NOT PAINT THINNER!! and drive about 100 miles on the motorway. Don't spin it above 5000 rpm.

To clear the code, take off the battery negative and step on the brake 9or turn on the headlights, push the horn button. That drains all residual voltage from the computers and thus they are reset.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Banned

VIDEO for Cat Code, Lacquer Thinner:

VAC LEAK FINDING WITH A CIGAR:

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 06-17-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
Hey Tuboturney: Would you mind to put your car's information in your signature?

I have done what you asked and I have put 2 pics in garage.

P0171 is a lean condition in bank 1. If it is a 4 cylinder that's the only bank you have. usually it is caused by a vacuum leak.

I have code P0172 Rich condition. Must be the Super unleaded 98 rom. that is in the tank

P0430 lets you know that the catalytic converter is now below 95% efficiency. Maybe it is 94% or 92%, we don't know.
When the tank is about half full, fill in 4 l of Lacquer Thinner, NOT PAINT THINNER!! and drive about 100 miles on the motorway. Don't spin it above 5000 rpm.

Lacquer Thinner is very hard to get in the UK

To clear the code, take off the battery negative and step on the brake 9or turn on the headlights, push the horn button. That drains all residual voltage from the computers and thus they are reset.
Thank you tanprotege

Last edited by turboturney; 06-18-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Thank you. UseYourNoggin - Very interesting viewing

Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 AM

I am sorry, i was reading your post with my blind eye!
A rich condition is often caused by a leaking injector. This could also contribute to a lower cataltytic efficiency. In fact it could kill your catalytic converter and set you back a few British Pounds.
There are more possible causes:
What causes a rich air/fuel ratio? - Yahoo! Answers

Lacquer thinner has become quite expensive, but I assume that in the UK it is the environmental laws that make it hard to come buy. Talk to a body shop if they can get you some. But first find the cause of the rich condition.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:26 AM

I am sorry, i was reading your post with my blind eye!
A rich condition is often caused by a leaking injector. This could also contribute to a lower cataltytic efficiency. In fact it could kill your catalytic converter and set you back a few British Pounds.
There are more possible causes:
What causes a rich air/fuel ratio? - Yahoo! Answers

Lacquer thinner has become quite expensive, but I assume that in the UK it is the environmental laws that make it hard to come buy. Talk to a body shop if they can get you some. But first find the cause of the rich condition.
would Acetone do the same job? as Lacquer thinner as it is easier to buy in the UK 5Ltr. = £17.50 with Free P & P

Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by turboturney
would Acetone do the same job? as Lacquer thinner as it is easier to buy in the UK 5Ltr. = £17.50 with Free P & P
Honestly, I don't know if Acetone would do. Lacquer thinner is a mix of petroleum distillates.
I do not want to recommend anything that I have not used myself. I am afraid it could do harm somewhere.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:48 AM

Honestly, I don't know if Acetone would do. Lacquer thinner is a mix of petroleum distillates.
I do not want to recommend anything that I have not used myself. I am afraid it could do harm somewhere.
OK I will take your sound advise and continue my search for lacquer thinners.
Just found this :- Lacquer thinner = U.S. term / cellulose thinner = U.K. term

Last edited by turboturney; 06-20-2013 at 05:57 AM. Reason: more knowledge found
Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 AM

With any luck this will take you to the MSDS of Clean Strip lacquer thinner showing its componants:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...kDl_I_oCHTHE9w

Quick Reply: HELP! Please