Go Back   Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums > Mazda Vehicles > Mazda Tribute
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2013, 02:45 PM

Default '04 Tribute 3.0 Vacuum Line?

-Hey there. New user here. I was checking my Brother-in-law's Tribute because it was running a bit rough and his mileage had dropped a bit. I had him stop to get the code scanned, (sorry, I forget what the code # was) but they told him it was something relating to the EGR valve, possibly including the gas cap. They told him to check the vacuum lines too. I found this while checking around. For the life of me I can't seem to find where it goes. I've done about everything except stand on my head. I can't find another broken line, a splice or tee to another line, or even a port where this one should connect. You can tell that the line hasn't been torn or cut recently. Does anyone here have a clue as to where it goes? It's about 3 or 4 inches down from the transmission fluid dipstick, as you can see. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Click the image to open in full size.

L8R,
Matt
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!

Last edited by MattyD.; 06-26-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 PM
2006 Mazda Mazda6

When all else fails, PLUG IT!

MODS:24mm Progess Rear Sway, 1.5" Drop Front, LED int lights, K&N SRI to CAI with engine baffle, Steeda 1/2 Spacer, Battery insulated, Solar Panel, Pre-Cat Back Custom Exhaust to 2.5"Magnaflow Main Cat, MazdaSpeed Cat Back, 2V Hi Voltage Ign Coils, Water Shield, HiD Low Beams, 2 15" Subs, Extra Grounds, External Tranny Cooler, Tinted Windows, EBC Green Stuff Pads, Lucas Engine Oil, B&G Tranny Oil, Cut Throttle Shaft, Chrome Strips
Old 06-26-2013, 07:10 PM

-I don't feel any vacuum from that line when I put my finger over it. That's what is bugging me. I can't find where it's supposed to be connected, or what is supposed to be connected to it.

L8R,
Matt
Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 AM
1998 Mazda Protege

Where is it coming out of?
I can't make out which area under the hood we are looking at. This could be the transmission breather tube.

"It is important to know the difference between 'precise' and 'accurate' even if you are neither!"

Who is that person in the avatar?
'05 Pontiac Vibe
'00 Ford Contour SE, 2L
'98 Mazda Protege, 1.5L 5 speed
'97 Mazda B 2300, 5 speed
Previously owned:
'03 Ford Windstar, '94 Ford Aerostar XLT 4L, '89 Geo Prizm, '86 Mazda 323 DX, 5 speed, '86 Chevrolet Cavalier , '81 Mercury Capri I6, VW 1302, Peugeot 304, VW 1300, BMW R26 (motorcycle), Hercules MK 4 (moped)
Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 AM
2002 Mazda Tribute

Send a message via Skype™ to turboturney

What tanprotage says. Here are pictures of my 2002 Tribute V6 Auto SAM_0001.jpgSAM_0002.jpg note the pipe is held to the dip stick tube by clips and it is U-shaped at the top of it. It seems to lead down to the gearbox.

2002 Mazda Tribute V6 4x4

Last edited by turboturney; 06-27-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Just learning about uploading and posting pictures
Old 06-27-2013, 11:32 AM
2006 Mazda Mazda6

Vaccuum Line: To Be or Not To Be . Guess it's not to be! WhoDaThunk a Breather line! Wow, kudos to other responders!
Looks like not a vaccuum line!
Don't plug breather lines!

MODS:24mm Progess Rear Sway, 1.5" Drop Front, LED int lights, K&N SRI to CAI with engine baffle, Steeda 1/2 Spacer, Battery insulated, Solar Panel, Pre-Cat Back Custom Exhaust to 2.5"Magnaflow Main Cat, MazdaSpeed Cat Back, 2V Hi Voltage Ign Coils, Water Shield, HiD Low Beams, 2 15" Subs, Extra Grounds, External Tranny Cooler, Tinted Windows, EBC Green Stuff Pads, Lucas Engine Oil, B&G Tranny Oil, Cut Throttle Shaft, Chrome Strips
Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 PM

-Thanks a bunch, guys. At least I now know that line is supposed to end like that. I didn't plug it because there wasn't any vacuum going through it. Never saw a tranny breather line like that before. I did find that the line connector coming from the front of the engine and going to the MAF sensor (?), between the filter box and intake, was torn in half. I think I read somewhere on here I believe that someone fixed theirs by replacing it with an angled spark plug boot. I taped it temporarily to see if there would be any difference, but I told him that it will definitely have to be replaced. I'll call him later to see if his Tribute is still acting the same way. Thanks again...

L8R,
Matt

Last edited by MattyD.; 06-27-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:49 PM
1998 Mazda Protege

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyD. View Post
-Thanks a bunch, guys. At least I now know that line is supposed to end like that. I didn't plug it because there wasn't any vacuum going through it. Never saw a tranny breather line like that before. I did find that the line connector coming from the front of the engine and going to the MAF sensor (?), between the filter box and intake, was torn in half. I think I read somewhere on here I believe that someone fixed theirs by replacing it with an angled spark plug boot. I taped it temporarily to see if there would be any difference, but I told him that it will definitely have to be replaced. I'll call him later to see if his Tribute is still acting the same way. Thanks again...

L8R,
Matt
I believe you are referring to the PCV line. I wouldn't be surprised if Noggin had a comment to that.

"It is important to know the difference between 'precise' and 'accurate' even if you are neither!"

Who is that person in the avatar?
'05 Pontiac Vibe
'00 Ford Contour SE, 2L
'98 Mazda Protege, 1.5L 5 speed
'97 Mazda B 2300, 5 speed
Previously owned:
'03 Ford Windstar, '94 Ford Aerostar XLT 4L, '89 Geo Prizm, '86 Mazda 323 DX, 5 speed, '86 Chevrolet Cavalier , '81 Mercury Capri I6, VW 1302, Peugeot 304, VW 1300, BMW R26 (motorcycle), Hercules MK 4 (moped)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 PM
2006 Mazda Mazda6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanprotege View Post
I believe you are referring to the PCV line. I wouldn't be surprised if Noggin had a comment to that.
Yeah, My FAV PET PEEVE----the PCV valve & line, you know the one that Mazda never ever ever checks or changes.
If you haven't changed it, change it now.
My brain is on overload today doing many minor changes on Marken Site, and i'm still doing it, but site overloaded so have to wait.
Carry On!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 PM

Tags
02, 03, 2002, 30, diagram, dpfe, dx, hose, line, mazda, pan, sensor, transmission, tribute, vacuum