Mazda RX-8 This new generation of the famed rotary car offers extra room, with the peformance and feel of performance car.

Help me diagnose my transmission problem (lost 1st and R)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Default Help me diagnose my transmission problem (lost 1st and R)

Car is a 2004 Mazda rx8 with 45,000 miles on it. As far as Iknow, all engine and drivetrain components in the car are original. 6MT

The car does not have any modifications done to it.

I’m having difficulty starting the car off in first andreverse gears. I can put the car into gear and as I start letting off the clutch it just grinds (sort of as if you tried to put the car into gear without depressing the clutch).

Usually after several attempts, I’m able to start the car off in first. Reverse is more difficult to start off in.

I hear a chattering noise while driving as well.

When the car clutch is depressed, I can put all gears injust fine, when I lift off the clutch is when I have issues.

Clutch/brake fluid level is fine.

Another thing to note, say for example I’m going 30 mph andgo to try downshift into second, it will not want to go into gear but when I’mat a dead stop it will go into gear just fine.

I will be taking the car to a friend’s shop, but I waswondering if anyone might be able to help me determine what it could be as apreliminary diagnosis…I know it can be several things.

Thanks in advance!

Cliffs:

• Car won’t engage in first or reverse gears (grinding noise when letting off clutch)
• After several attempts, I can start off in 1st, reverse is more difficult
• Chattering noise while driving
• Clutch/brake fluid level is fine

Old 04-11-2016, 10:52 PM

Vibration in the clutch pedal? It's obvious the trans will have to come out and I wouldn't be surprised if you find the clutch disc and/or pressure plate has come unglued. The rotary motor loves life in the high RPM's, it's built for it, but an older clutch does not. Failure is usually seen when downshifting into a lower gear at too high of an RPM. Could be an internal problem too and won't know til the exploratory sugery is done.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

Im guessing bent or worn fingers on the pressure plate &/or release bearing.

Either way the box needs to come out.