Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Wierd electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Question Wierd electrical problem

Hi,

I own a 91 B2200. Awhile back my signal lights weren't working. I never heard the "click" from the relay. I changed the relay (driver's side, lower left under and behind the dash). The signal lights now work, but will quit after some time!

Also, here's what I have now and don't have.

Headlights :YES
High Beam : YES
Front lower signals (under bumper) :YES
Rear signals : YES
Front running lights (white) :NO
Front upper signals :NO

The front upper running light(white) and front upper signal(amber) only have one bulb w/single element
I have checked all the bulbs that aren't working but they look good as well as the sockets they sit in.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it either, but I have changed the inside courtesy light two times already, it seems easy to die.

I'd like to hear if anyone has clues as to what may cause this before I tackle the job of dash dis-assembly and harness check

Old 04-16-2010, 09:30 AM

check if there is any power going to the sockets

Old 05-02-2010, 09:44 AM

Turn on light switch, use a 12 volt test light or voltmeter on the socket terminal and to ground metal, see if it lights or reads 12 volts, respectively.

And check your fuses, underside of dash.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 AM

One solution to intermittent or permanent electrical problems, specifically headlight failure can be found on the post by SEVARGMT on 9-29-2010.

It seems to lie in corrosion of the wiring system connectors in the PJB, a specific wire connection junction box located under the passenger side glove compartment box.

It seems possible to repair the corroded pin connector but it is probably best to have the dealer replace the entire PJB to avoid repeats of this problem, as it is a dangerous situation when headlights go out at night, like mine did.

Brilliant problem solving by SEVARGMT and DJS2571. They also developed a convincing theory of what causes this problem: the air conditioning line located above this box creates condensation, which then drips down on the wire connectors and causes them to corrode, causing an electrical fault. They suggest a plastic drip sheet to avoid future corrosion.

Wouldn't it be great if Mazda assigned an engineer to read the forums for problems with their cars and prepare posts with solutions? It is plainly obvious that a problem is very common when you look at the number of "views" listed for certain topics, such the headlights (many thousands of owners have headlight failure problems). Mazda should have issued a bulletin or a recall since the corroding PJB is clearly a safety problem. This looks like a design/engineering flaw. Every electrician and plumber knows to never put moisture sources above electrical boxes. Shame on them.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 PM

I have also taken both rear grounds apart and cleaned them up real good. That didn't help. I get no backup lights or brake lights either!

same with no power to the stereo.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i cant believe this one's so hard to find!

I have not checked the pjb yet, but I think this particular truck has aftermarket ac. I will be sure to look there.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 PM

actually, I dont even know if my 91 b2200 has this so called pjb, i have never seen it in my other 91

Old 12-13-2010, 10:46 PM

fuses are good, also put in brand new flasher relay.