Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2003 with engine light and intermitten sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Default 2003 with engine light and intermitten sputtering

Today my wife calls me saying that the engine light started blinking; shortly after it started blinking the van started shuddering for several seconds then the shuddering stopped for a few miles then it started cutting out like it was going to stall but never did. The engine light blinked for several minutes before finally it just stayed on solid.

Now let me tell you what I might have done to cause this. Saturday, I rinsed the engine off with a water hose. After I let the engine air dry for about an hour, I took my air compressor and blowed out any additional water in electrical connections. Even though we have driven the car for 3 days after I rinsed the engine with no ill effects, I wonder if it may be related.

Unfortunately right now I am out of town and will not be back home until Friday afternoon before I can actually look at it myself, but are there any pointers that I should look for.

Also, is there a code reader I can buy that is not to expensive to see if it has thrown any codes? I am sure it probably has since the engine light is on.

Thanks in advance for any input/opinions you guys might have.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Default RE: 2003 with engine light and intermitten sputtering

I figured out my problem. It was because I washed the engine. Condensation had gotten trapped in around the front 3 spark plug boots. I dried them off and applied some dielectric grease, and it runs like new again.

I do still need to clear the codes as the engine light is still on. How do I clear the codes?

Is it as simple as disconnecting the battery or no?

Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 PM

I have the same problem. Van sputters when its idle (eg traffic light) and sometimes when it accelerates.Thanks for posting this information. I will take a look into my mpv's own sparkplugs although I have never washed its engine compartment with a water hose.As far as reseting the engine light goes, I'm pretty clueless. Sorry.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:21 PM

I have the same problem. Van sputters when its idle (eg traffic light) and sometimes when it accelerates.Thanks for posting this information. I will take a look into my mpv's own sparkplugs although I have never washed its engine compartment with a water hose.As far as reseting the engine light goes, I'm pretty clueless. Sorry.
I figured out through research on this forum that all you have to do is disconnect the battery for a few minutes and that will clear any codes that has been set off. I did that and every thing is now back to normal.

I wish I had some input for your situation. How many miles are on your MPV? If you haven't ever washed the engine it is probably doubtful that you will have the same results that I did, but you never know? It may be possible for condensation to accumulate around the plug boot/s if one of them is dry cracked or something and if you have had alot of rainy weather?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:06 PM

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? What did the dealer tell you?

I ask, because we have a 2003 mpv as well with the same symptoms. So far, I've replaced 3 of the ignition coils and every time that fixes the problem for 8 to 12 months. Then, another one goes.

This is usually most noticible on a rainy or super-wet day, but as it gets worse it'll happen in any weather. The dealer replaced all three of the coils under warranty, but now the same symptom is happening again (sputtering/rough running with check-engine light blinking and/or solid lit). Its going to the dealer again, but this time NOT under warranty any more.

I just want to know how others have fixed this, and if their experiences are any different than mine. It seems odd that the coils would be going one at a time like this.

-flight-