Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Is this a good buy? 2000 Mazda Millenia S

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Default Is this a good buy? 2000 Mazda Millenia S

Hey everyone,

This is my first car. I'm 16 years old, know a good amount about cars, but as every teenager is, I'm on a tight budget.

Offered by someone my dad works with is a 2000 Mazda Millenia S, it has 134k on it. It needs 2 catalytic converters, and two lateral links. How pricy would this be in all, and could it be something I could fix up with my dad, or something that would be much better off having a mechanic handle?

The price is $2,000, but I can bargain down to $1750 easily. I have about 500-600 to spend in fixing it.

Thank you.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Shieldsz
Hey everyone,

This is my first car. I'm 16 years old, know a good amount about cars, but as every teenager is, I'm on a tight budget.

Offered by someone my dad works with is a 2000 Mazda Millenia S, it has 134k on it. It needs 2 catalytic converters, and two lateral links. How pricy would this be in all, and could it be something I could fix up with my dad, or something that would be much better off having a mechanic handle?

The price is $2,000, but I can bargain down to $1750 easily. I have about 500-600 to spend in fixing it.

Thank you.
if you go with ebay cats, they will cost at least 240 each. with freight, figger about 275 each. then you will probably also need the post cat o2 sensors, figger about 60 each. then, to install the cats, you will also need exh manifold gaskets, about 15 each, and a whole pile of exh gaskets, figger about another 30 bucks. the real fun part is changing the cats. i hope you have a lift, cause you AINT gonna do it from up top. and that sucker has gotta be HIGH. the entire exh assy has to come out. also, a crossmember at the rear of the engine, that the front cat pipe goes over. if you aint very tricky, to get the rear cat out, you will have to pull the right side axle, INCLUDING the jack shaft. on the front cat, i pull the radiator. which sounds easy, but on the 2.3, to get TO the radiator, a whole pile of stuff has to come off. if you are sharp, and have lots of tools, a lift, and air tools, figger about 4 hours for each cat. the links are not bad, but there are 2 on each side. upper link, and upper leading link. one is right up top, and will take about 30 minutes. and a couple special tools, like a ball joint separator. the middle link is a bear. to get 1 bolt out, you have to drop the engine crossmember as far as it will go. kinda hairy. then, because the middle link adjusts camber, it will have to be aligned. if you think you can do the "mark-the-bolt" trick, think again. it wont work. oh, and i would also look at both front axles, and i guarantee you the motor mounts are toast. those will be another fun job, especially the rear one. seat heaters work? if they do, you are lucky. check engine lite on? probably, if the cats are bad, then you got at least a 0421/31. but, better look closely. is tcs off/tcs lite on? and codes 1525/26/40 stored? ooo. LOTS of fun. ever change spark plugs before? not on a 2.3. figger on about 3 hours for the rear bank. at a cost of about 15 each. any missfire codes? 0300/1/2/3/4/5/6? bad coil? there are 6 of them. about 174 each. 0170/73 codes? air leak, a cheap tee fitting, about a buck. oh, but wait. to get TO that sucker is about another 4 hours. you get to take the whole intake off. then, there is about 21 feet of vacuum line. are we having fun yet?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:47 PM
Default need more backup cas

2.3 supercharged wonderfull car to drive smooth quiet and powerfull. You need a fat checkbook if you ever have to fix it, and you will. I have had numerouse expensive repairs done not easey to work on yourself and expensive parts.

John

Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Default Requires a second job......maybe 3

Love my 99 S but be prepared to spend some serious cash maintaining the Milly S , if you are on a tight budget you should pass on this one.
In the last 3 yrs I have replaced both axles , both front lateral links , all 4 calipers and rotors , coolant reservoir , coolant hoses , 3 coils , both vcg's , all the vac. lines and tee's , installed non-foulers on the two rear O2 sensors , replaced 1 O2 sensor , a battery , and various solenoids , 2 door lock solenoids , a window motor and soon to be added ..... Struts. Just keep in mind that this is not my daily driver! In the last 3 yrs I might have put about 6,000 miles on it.
Parts are not cheap and most have to special ordered , the parts guy will become your best friend and mechanics will either run and hide when you pull in or greet you with a grin from ear to ear as dollar signs flash before their eyes.