Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would Mazda put on tires with poor snow performance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Default Why would Mazda put on tires with poor snow performance.

Just bought a CX-5 with Yokohamas Geolanders on them and all ratings on the tire suggest terrible performance in the snow.

Why would Mazda put those on a SUV sold in the NE and is there something I can do about it besides changing them at my expense.

If I do have to change them, am I better off getting a tire that has good performance in summer and winter or should I just get winter snows and rims and swap them out as needed.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2015, 04:31 PM

Because even in the NE is snows less then half the year. Those are the correct tires for that part of the year. For snow with any car you need Snow tires. I like having them on there own rims.

The best thing you can say about all season tires is that they are a compromise.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Banned

All Season Tires are 3 season tires!

READ: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/whe...w-tires-32498/

Old 03-24-2015, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

All tires are a compromise. All decisions made in manufacturing are compromises.
It is a well known fact that most average cars come with crappy tires from the factory. They may have some good attributes, but for the most part are there to hold up the car so you can give the dealer your money and drive off the lot.
And I agree; if you have a lot of snow/icy weather in your area, or are uncomfortable the times you do, buy good quality dedicated winter tires.
One minor correction to your OP; the CX-5 is not an SUV, it's a CUV and there is a difference.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 AM

Fuel economy ratings are usually a large consideration with OE tires. No "all season" tires are good in snow or even very cold weather.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Agreed. Fuel mileage is a big consideration these days. Meeting federal minimums is a difficult enough task.
However, my wife and I both have been running Continental DWS tires for a number of years now and they are the best all-season compromise I have found to date. They got me into work one morning with about an inch of snow on the roads, a lot for Texas, and few others even tried. I even passed a cop on the way that couldn't go as fast as I could.
They're long lasting, quiet and smooth riding, and they are quite sure-footed in all situations I've had with them to date too.
The downside is that they are a little slow in the steering response department. But for my DD, I'll take that trade-off any time. Besides, pumping them up a couple of extra pounds (I run them at 34-36psi) helps with the response.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

Agreed. Fuel mileage is a big consideration these days. Meeting federal minimums is a difficult enough task.
However, my wife and I both have been running Continental DWS tires for a number of years now and they are the best all-season compromise I have found to date. They got me into work one morning with about an inch of snow on the roads, a lot for Texas, and few others even tried. I even passed a cop on the way that couldn't go as fast as I could.
They're long lasting, quiet and smooth riding, and they are quite sure-footed in all situations I've had with them to date too.
The downside is that they are a little slow in the steering response department. But for my DD, I'll take that trade-off any time. Besides, pumping them up a couple of extra pounds (I run them at 34-36psi) helps with the response.
Just for the record, Continental DWS tires are not available in 225/65-17 size.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

You are correct, but Conti does offer a number of quality All-Season tires for Crossovers in that size ranging from $120-$146 ea, and they all rate high with consumers, though some more than others. They also rate 680 to 800 on the wear scale:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...er=Continental

Old 03-24-2015, 03:28 PM

Right. Here's a related discussion: Continental True Contact Review

Old 03-25-2015, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

I am a Mod on 24/7 also, but hadn't seen this thread.
Still, it's not very conclusive. I can say that after 4 years and some 35k miles on the DWS's more than twice any other set I've had on this car, and having now a second set on my wife's Vibe that I continue to be impressed by these tires.
I didn't do further research, but there may an acceptable size alternative in the DWS series for the CX-5... maybe?